WTB: Managed Gigabit Network Switch 16p+ --- CAN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

undemanding

Feb 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I've been searching eBay, kijiji and reddit looking for a switch within my budget and cannot find anything that tickles my fancy.

I need a 16 port+ gigabit switch for my home capable of handling VLANS and has a web UI / manageable CLI.

My budget is under $80 USD / $100 CAD shipped.
Also, I am located in Canada, therefore likely the states will have an added import charge.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Look into the Dell PowerConnect 2724, you will need an VM with an older version of Ubuntu or something on it to manage it but otherwise they work great. I have one as my home switch.

undemanding

Feb 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Look into the Dell PowerConnect 2724, you will need an VM with an older version of Ubuntu or something on it to manage it but otherwise they work great. I have one as my home switch.
Ironically, I have been looking. That switch was the main one I was looking for. I got hands on one, but it didn't boot up. I diagnosed it to the actual board of the switch. The power supply wasn't fried.
I was pretty disappointed.
I was more looking on here for someone to bring something to me individually, not a reference through to eBay. Thanks for the reply. [emoji1]

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I have a Procurve 2824 that I would be willing to unload to you for $100. Would have to cover shipping costs but I assure you it is a solid 24 port GigE switch. I am in the U.S. though so shipping and import would run that up a bit. Can probably do better locally unless your really interested.

undemanding

Feb 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for all of the replies. Unfortunately a majority of these are out of my budget. Whitey, if I were in the states I would buy it, unfortunately shipping and the import charges prevent that.
If anyone else still has anything within my budget. Please post!

spyrule

I can tell you that if you look at the older linksys/cisco SRW2048's, you can find them cheap. Be aware, that they have a tendency to crash the web-interface. They keep routing and all keeps working, but after a few days, if you want to make changes you have to pull the power to get back into the web interface (or even cli for that matter).

But.... they can be had cheap. Where in Canada are you?

undemanding

Feb 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I've seen a few of those as well. Good to know about those issues. Thanks. I'll just keep looking for em.

I'm located in Alberta. Pretty close to Calgary. I know there is an electronic recycling centre in Calgary selling super cheap switches. Although, I haven't had the time to go drive in and I haven't seen any good ones come on there eBay page.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Calgary Computer Wholesale is certainly going to be your best bet given your budget and ask. Should be able to find PowerConnect 2700's all day long there. But they don't have a serial port the CLI Is crap and the webui will drive you mad.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Calgary Computer Wholesale is certainly going to be your best bet given your budget and ask. Should be able to find PowerConnect 2700's all day long there. But they don't have a serial port the CLI Is crap and the webui will drive you mad.
PowerConnect 2700 series doesn't have a CLI, I've tried. The UI is horrible and I have a Ubuntu 7.04 VM just to manage it :(

undemanding

Feb 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Maybe it is for the best that my 2724 came out to be a dud. ;)

I guess all that I have to do is keep an eye out on their eBay page. 'll still hope someone will want to do a sale on here though just so I can trust them. So if anyone does have anything they're itching to get rid of, let me know. :)

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Couldn't remember if it had a CLI. It's certainly horrible. The problem with finding something on here in that price range is that shipping a rack mount switch to canada is going to eat half your budget. (I'm in Edmonton)

undemanding

Feb 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Couldn't remember if it had a CLI. It's certainly horrible. The problem with finding something on here in that price range is that shipping a rack mount switch to canada is going to eat half your budget. (I'm in Edmonton)
That's the unfortunate truth. I may just have to save up. Issue is I'm in high school and supplying myself my own (ex-enterprise) home lab is seemingly expensive for a part time job.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
You know anyone making a drive from Edmonton any time soon? I might be willing to tell the boss we lost some old stuff. He'd probably want to sell it but I'm sure it could hit your budget

undemanding

Feb 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Hmm you know, I don't have anyone going up there. Plus I wouldn't want you to get in trouble.
I might be able to save up and increase the budget for a cheap trendnet smart switch. I'll see what comes up though. I need to save up for uni. Heck I might not even be able to hold my homelab in uni.
If anyone is heading up to Edmonton anytime soon I might just have to hit you up on that offer.