[WTB] CSE-PTJBOD-CB3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
That would be the rough equivalent of the CB1/2, not the CB3 which has IPMI. Well, not really, because CB1/2 provides front panel controls.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Still can't believe nobody found a simplier solution to this. It's just pwm, right, can't raspi be used for it? It has ethernet and linux onboard and waaay cheaper.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
I'm dumb when it comes to electric diagrams but can't you actually just power pi directly off the PSU(there's ton of free 5V connectors available), and just use the single pwm cable and split that with a breadboard to all 3 fans, no? All of the components will have a common ground so I don't see any problem with that?

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
In my particular cas i use 837 and it has 3 fans that are very annoying at most of their speeds, plus the enclosure likes to speed them up and down so I decided to unplug PWM but that still didn't help, it seems like it's now controlled by the voltage. So i connected the fans directly to 12v and that worked. I still left all 3 yellow wires(tachometer signal) so that i can also monitor if fans fail(with sg_ses). That of course means fans are running full speed but this is actually necessary by the setup to cool all the disks and also results in a higher frequency noise that is easier to mitigate actually than mids.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Still can't believe nobody found a simplier solution to this. It's just pwm, right, can't raspi be used for it? It has ethernet and linux onboard and waaay cheaper.
It should be doable, though I'm not sure if anyone has figured out the software side of things since you'd need to run an IPMI server and have everything hooked into that correctly.

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
Whats your budget for the jbod board?
I might have two to sell in a couple weeks.
For the mounting plate i would recommend to just 3dprint sth (or let print if you dont have your own)

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
why do you need IPMI not SNMP, SSH or any other thing of your choice?..
You don't need it, but it's nice to have an already-standardized protocol you can work with. If everything else in your homelab is using IPMI, it's nice to be able to manage everything with one client.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
I think I have a spare mounting bracket I'm not going to use, reach out if you end up needing it.

The network cable and rear HP/LP mount for it are sold separate, fyi.

Reactions: jbod_or_die

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Get a X9/X10SLM or similar without CPU and have IPMI, powered PCIe slots and full fan control. Cost on eBay around 25USD.

Reactions: darthray

lastb0isct

Feb 12, 2018
Get a X9/X10SLM or similar without CPU and have IPMI, powered PCIe slots and full fan control. Cost on eBay around 25USD.
Wait, is it actually possible to power a mobo without a CPU/memory and use it as a jbod? I thought most motherboards wouldn't power on without a CPU/memory...I've never tried without really.

UnknownPommes

Aug 28, 2022
Wait, is it actually possible to power a mobo without a CPU/memory and use it as a jbod? I thought most motherboards wouldn't power on without a CPU/memory...I've never tried without really.
yeah, not all mainboards, but most of the supermicro boards can do it.
Problem with this solution is that the mainboards take up a lot of space compared to the cb3.
I did several conversions of intertech mining cases and with the cb3, i am able to fit 50 disks easily with more space between the drives to keep temps and noise down, even with sth small like a micro atx i would loose at least the last two rows, which would bring that down to more like 35 disks with similar spacing and a lot of wasted space.
But yeah around 190€ each is not cheap.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
I'm mildly surprised someone hasn't created a DIY solution with something like an ESP32, Ethernet interface, a temp sensor or two, and a few PWM channels...

Reactions: tinfoil3d