EU [WTB] ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T or -NL OR ASRock Rack X570D4U

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nilfisk_urd

Feb 14, 2023
I'm looking for a ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T or -NL (preferred) or an ASRock Rack X570D4U motherboard. For the mITX-Versions i would also need two Oculink -> 4x SATA cable, 2-4x 32GB DDR4 SODIMM 3200MHz ECC-Ram and a compatible 1U or 2U cooler.

Last edited:

Omniserver

Nov 3, 2022
Don't know what requirements are but I see used 860 EVO's being offered below 200,- for 4TB models.

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Don't know what requirements are but I see used 860 EVO's being offered below 200,- for 4TB models.
Well, I would never recomend buying second hand consumer SSDs.

Btw, atm don't have any, I'll check again next week.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
You are aware that e.g. the Transcend SSD230S 4TB are very close to that price? They currently sell at ~230EUR in Germany, so prices in other EU countries are very likely even lower.
At 2.24PBW they also have very decent endurance ratings for consumer drives at that price point. Especially for the typical load of a home-NAS and considering they most likely will run in a mirrored pool this should be plenty.

nilfisk_urd

Feb 14, 2023
yeah, im looking for used enterprise drives, and i am fine with ~30% tbw left in those.

nihonjin, thanks for looking - hopefully you find something.

sko, i'm in austria, so the cheapest offer for the transcend ssd is ~260€, which is still too high for me - i dont need the drives ASAP. But this model is on my watchlist.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
>2TB enterprise drives aren't that widely and cheaply available yet. If you consider that those drives are usually replaced after their 5 year warranty period expires, there weren't that much drives >2TB around 5+ years ago, and those that were had an immense price tag and won't be selling at <200EUR now.
So if you do not need that space right now, maybe have a look at 1.92TB drives, which are much more common to be replaced in large quantities nowadays. Also in enterprise you won't find that many SATA drives - especially for flash it makes absolutely no sense using an half-duplex, single-queue interface that poses a massive bottleneck and neglects almost all benefits of using flash.

I got a bunch of 1.92TB HPE DDYE1920S SAS drives (essentially overprovisioned sandisk 2TB drives) at WAY below 200EUR a few weeks ago and converted my home server to all-flash with 8 of them. They are all at ~1-2% of their endurance rating, so for my data-grave pool they will last forever TBW-wise.
Those 1.92TB from HPE or DELL turn up on a regular basis on ebay, so chances are good you will get a good price if you buy a lot of e.g. 8+ drives. Mine were originally 200EUR per piece, but I got 150/each for 12 pieces.

nilfisk_urd

Feb 14, 2023
thanks for pointing this out, i have altered my requirements to include 1,92TB drives and SAS drives - although i would still prefer 4TB SATA for power consumption.

nilfisk_urd

Feb 14, 2023
I am still searching, got a tempting offer for 8x4 TB which is a bit over my initial price range - maybe someone has an even better offer for me?