WTB: AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 5750GE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Goof

Jan 27, 2021
No interest in a 4750GE or 5750G. 5750GE only. I'm located in US. Thanks!

miken

Jun 11, 2022
I wanted a 5350GE *and* a 5750GE. I searched for months and finally decided to buy two HP Prodesks when they were on sale. I am going to pull the 5350GE out and replace it with a 5600G (65W -- upgraded to a 90W power brick to handle it) and resell the Prodesk. The 5750GE I'm keeping in the Prodesk form factor. The 5350GE will go into an HTPC box, a full ATX case with a full or micro-ATX mobo. It's the only way I could figure out to get my hands on these CPUs. No hits on eBay or Google Shopping, and I check every day (have the searches bookmarked). There are actually two companies selling 5650GE's, but they are expensive (QuietPC is in the UK and charges $50 shipping, the other is even more expensive). QuietPC had 5750GE's in stock a couple months ago but they sold out and I am not sure they will restock them. You might need to do something similar to get your hands on one of these. Just don't buy a Lenovo, they vendor-lock the CPUs and they cannot be installed in non-Lenovo motherboards.

Reactions: ttvd

Goof

Jan 27, 2021
I'm 100% aware of the above, but I'm not in a rush with my project. If I was in a rush I would've already done the above and paid way too much.

5750GEs will be available again in time. Right now they're almost exclusively going to OEMs.

When someone here has one to sell, I'll be here for it unless I already got one in the interim (in which I'll update the post saying I no longer need it).

miken

Jun 11, 2022
I think the 35W parts have never been officially offered to retail, and neither has the low-end 65W 5300G. QuietPC probably bought a tray of OEM chips and are selling them boxless (and not sure about the warranty status); very few retailers are willing to do that. In other words, it may be a long wait. And with the 7000 series launching in a quarter, production may ramp down completely for these parts before that ever happens.

miken

Jun 11, 2022
(of course if you're open to used parts that's moot, I've personally just been focused on new, building a machine I hope to be around for 5-10 years and want only new parts in it)

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
The days of e-tailers buying tray processors and selling them piecemeal has been gone for a while. Newegg for example used to sell many Intel tray processors but they have stopped for years.

miken

Jun 11, 2022
I am assuming you mean those days are over for large e-tailers, and not because the practice was banned by the manufacturers. For example, I don't know how else QuietPC would have gotten their hands on the 35W models. They are sold as new, yet AMD never released a boxed, retail version of these CPUs.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Ah, yes and no. It’s the larger e-tailers and B&M that in fact have more ability to buy the entire tray directly from Intel or AMD. Intel and AMD aren’t going to ban selling tray CPUs at all, because if someone is willing to buy a whole tray, or in some instances a “half tray,” that’s a guaranteed large purchase. That’s also why there are practices such as tray discounts.

QuietPC either negotiated a tray purchase with AMD, or they bought from a system integrator who was working on a project for another company and had excess CPUs. For example, a tray purchase is 1,000 CPUs, but the integrator only needed 700. However tray discounts made more sense to purchase the entire tray rather than a half tray then trying to source the rest elsewhere. They now have 300 CPUs leftover, which they sell to QuietPC.

It was common in years past for B&M like Fry’s (they direct bought from Intel/AMD) and local shops (via suppliers) to sell tray CPUs. Newegg, B&H, and various other e-tailers also sold tray CPUs. However this is a leftover of bygone days when a local shop would build the PC and self-warranty it. It just became too much of a hassle for shops to deal with self-warranting tray CPUs. Even with a 30-day self warranty there’s going to be customers who scam or accidentally broke the product. It’s just easier to sell a box CPU and tell the customer “deal with the manufacturer warranty.”