[WTB] AMD 64 Core 'ES' and ''QS' CPU's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thrasher

Jul 12, 2021
Unlocked for OCing. You could break lots of WRs on hwb*t with dual OCed 7742's for example.
Oh, that makes a lot of sense. I guess it's a bit more like a lottery though - have heard of many enthusiasts getting CPUs that barely work at all let alone overclock well.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
offtopic question:

how do you find out if some parts inside an ES or QS cpu is dead ?? thus not the whole cpu but some parts ??
In theory, JTAG and HDT but those aren't available to us.
Technically the BMC could be used to access those and give you specifics but i don't know any of the vendors who is doing that.

There are Machine Check Registers inside the CPU to signal Hardware errors and those should be what all those are based on.
At least that is where the windows MCE error Bsods and messages come form.

Practically, if you turn of cores and CCDs and it works after that. Not that my SM H11ssl does that through the default bios settings ...

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
In theory, JTAG and HDT but those aren't available to us.
Technically the BMC could be used to access those and give you specifics but i don't know any of the vendors who is doing that.

There are Machine Check Registers inside the CPU to signal Hardware errors and those should be what all those are based on.
At least that is where the windows MCE error Bsods and messages come form.

Practically, if you turn of cores and CCDs and it works after that. Not that my SM H11ssl does that through the default bios settings ...
HDT?

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Yes, short for Hardware Debug Tool. Physical Boxes that you connect to the System through a Header meant for it.

Open Compute Project • Project Olympus AMD EPYC Processor Motherboard Specification is an interesting read containing a minuscule amount of info about HDT and JTAG.
At least that is the first and only reference i can think about that should be accessible.
Don't have a link in hand, otherwise i'd link it.

Intels equivalent are the XDP boxes.

Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Yes, short for Hardware Debug Tool. Physical Boxes that you connect to the System through a Header meant for it.

Open Compute Project • Project Olympus AMD EPYC Processor Motherboard Specification is an interesting read containing a minuscule amount of info about HDT and JTAG.
At least that is the first and only reference i can think about that should be accessible.
Don't have a link in hand, otherwise i'd link it.

Intels equivalent are the XDP boxes.
You mean like this?

Reactions: RageBone

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i got this. is it going to work for me to detect some broken parts inside epyc cpu, @RageBone ??

but i can also buy this if it is going to work for my purpose

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@ari2asem it sadly won't.

It technically could but not for you, me, or any other normal person on here.
Not with the publicly available information.
If you happen to have access to a PPR for the cpu in question, well that'd then be an adventure.

The BMC on your Board should technically be enough, it just isn't because none of the vendors i had a look at are using its capability in any useful way in that direction or simply aren't verbose enough.

How about you DM me with some more details about your setup and why you even think that to be relevant?

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
@ari2asem it sadly won't.

It technically could but not for you, me, or any other normal person on here.
Not with the publicly available information.
If you happen to have access to a PPR for the cpu in question, well that'd then be an adventure.

The BMC on your Board should technically be enough, it just isn't because none of the vendors i had a look at are using its capability in any useful way in that direction or simply aren't verbose enough.

How about you DM me with some more details about your setup and why you even think that to be relevant?

Have fun.

Reactions: RageBone

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@Wasmachineman_NL thank you again. Sadly not what i was looking for.
Turns out, what i meant is actually public.

Of interest specifically is the SB-RMI that provides limited access to registers that contain some error information.
The problems would be to interface with the APML, to then get the protocol working, followed by reading the registers and interpreting their meaning.

An Adventure for sure.

Oh look, there is progress.

Last edited: