[WTB] 7.68TB NVME U.2 Drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
(I have an active for sale trade, not sure if I should keep WTBs to that thread.)

Looking for a few (3-4ish) 7.68TB enterprise NVME U.2 drives, like p4510, SN640, or other similar models. Might also consider 3.84TB or 6.4TB drives as well. Reach out if you've got anything!

Reactions: adman_c and Samir

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Reactions: Samir

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Idle power is... not great. Basically exactly as quoted on the data sheet: 7-8W as read from the wall. I'd love to be closer to 5W each, but :shrug: They accepted $325 each without countering--they might go slightly lower. Also, you will need airflow over them. On my open-air bench (no airflow) they throttled on a 10 minute FIO sequential write test.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Idle power is... not great. Basically exactly as quoted on the data sheet: 7-8W as read from the wall. I'd love to be closer to 5W each, but :shrug: They accepted $325 each without countering--they might go slightly lower. Also, you will need airflow over them. On my open-air bench (no airflow) they throttled on a 10 minute FIO sequential write test.
That's too bad. I'm trying to keep idle power down if at all possible. In fact I'm consider m.2 22110 drives that typically idle lower, but all the adapters etc. I'd have to use just make it a bit of a mess.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
That's too bad. I'm trying to keep idle power down if at all possible. In fact I'm consider m.2 22110 drives that typically idle lower, but all the adapters etc. I'd have to use just make it a bit of a mess.
Yeah, I'm going to probably end up having my power usage be the same or slightly higher that my existing rust array, which is not what I was hoping to get from going all-flash. The WD SN640s should idle lower, at least based on their datasheet. Maybe my next upgrade will get me drives with lower idle--I just couldn't resist the combo of performance and cost per GB on brand-new drives.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
they are listed as “new”and bottom of listing says 5 year warranty. Can you check warranty status on yours and let us know?
Heh. Would love to but I can't find any place that you can enter a serial number and find out. So I guess I'm rolling the dice in that regard. Like I said, they appeared to be BNIB when I received them and they perform exactly as expected.

XeonSam

Aug 23, 2018
I got a Western Digital HUSMR7676BDP3Y1 Ultrastar DC SN200 which I can match you offer. PM me if interested!

Hazily2019

Jan 10, 2023
Yeah I saw this, thanks wasn’t sure about these Kingston drives. Do you have a sense of idle power of one in your set up? Also what was the offer amount that was accepted?
Kingston NVMe drives are equally good. I have not had any issues with them when we used them in servers and such.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
And that Kingston listing is now down to $320 obo. That's a hell of a deal IMO for new enterprise NVME (even if they're only Gen 3).

DarthCirrus

Dec 12, 2022
Heh. Would love to but I can't find any place that you can enter a serial number and find out. So I guess I'm rolling the dice in that regard. Like I said, they appeared to be BNIB when I received them and they perform exactly as expected.
Any chance you could be convinced to actually call and check one of the SNs see if you have warranty support by ~gasp~ talking to a human? I know it’d be a lot of time but would sure help some of us out, plus then you’d know!

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Any chance you could be convinced to actually call and check one of the SNs see if you have warranty support by ~gasp~ talking to a human? I know it’d be a lot of time but would sure help some of us out, plus then you’d know!
So I called (for science!) and it's good news/bad news I guess? Good news is they stated that as long as the product was purchased new the warranty is for 5 years from the date of purchase--the serial number is irrelevant to the warranty period. Ebay sales are also purportedly ok, again, so long as the product was new and not used. The less-good news is that when you make a warranty claim you need to provide your proof of purchase and who knows how they're going to react to an ebay sale from "horrorgrl666". I'm going to keep my original packaging just in case I need to make a claim though. Based on my reading of the warranty I should be fine--I am the "original end user customer", and the drives were not "sold as second-hand" or "resold contrary to U.S.A. and other applicable export regulations."

But as with most things, there is a YMMV here, so potentially be wary if the availability of warranty replacement is of paramount importance to you. For me, the capacity and performance for the money is worth the fairly small risk that one of them dies and I can't get warranty support.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
So I called (for science!) and it's good news/bad news I guess? Good news is they stated that as long as the product was purchased new the warranty is for 5 years from the date of purchase--the serial number is irrelevant to the warranty period. Ebay sales are also purportedly ok, again, so long as the product was new and not used. The less-good news is that when you make a warranty claim you need to provide your proof of purchase and who knows how they're going to react to an ebay sale from "horrorgrl666". I'm going to keep my original packaging just in case I need to make a claim though. Based on my reading of the warranty I should be fine--I am the "original end user customer", and the drives were not "sold as second-hand" or "resold contrary to U.S.A. and other applicable export regulations."

But as with most things, there is a YMMV here, so potentially be wary if the availability of warranty replacement is of paramount importance to you. For me, the capacity and performance for the money is worth the fairly small risk that one of them dies and I can't get warranty support.
What do you mean? Horrorgrl666 is a well-known reseller of enterprise grade hardware... :)

Warranty does say "To the extent permitted by applicable laws, products not imported or sold through authorized Kingston dealers or distributors are not covered by this warranty, and Kingston may elect to repair or replace your product for a fee." So maybe warranty is not valid? Either way I doubt you'll encounter an issue.

• Haha
Reactions: adman_c

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
What do you mean? Horrorgrl666 is a well-known reseller of enterprise grade hardware... :)

Warranty does say "To the extent permitted by applicable laws, products not imported or sold through authorized Kingston dealers or distributors are not covered by this warranty, and Kingston may elect to repair or replace your product for a fee." So maybe warranty is not valid? Either way I doubt you'll encounter an issue.
Oooh. You're right I missed that. Pretty sure that's unenforceable though, especially given that the sealed packages I received explicitly state that there's a 5 year warranty:
IMG_2895.jpeg

Reactions: autoturk

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
I really wonder where these no name eBay sellers get these new enterprise drives. Who is casting off unopened drives purchased for >$1k (if "retail" pricing is to be believed).