WTB 4x XEON E7 quad socket V4 4800 or 8800 series CPUs, 18+ cores each

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

angel_bee

Jul 24, 2020
want to buy FOUR quad socket xeons, must be E7 V4 for example xeon e7 8870 v4.

the CPU must have support for DDR3 ram (i am using a supermicro x10qbi mobo)

i would like to buy one quantity for testing in my system before I commit to buying the entire set of four

thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have 2x SuperMicro Quad CPU Chassis\Mobo + CPUs (4667 V3) if you are interested in those by chance :) Msg me.
New never used servers.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
There are a few E7-8880 v3 ebay listings at $125 shipped. Buy one then buy 3 more.

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
@angel_bee you might need to buy 2 to test - that's what I found in my testing with the X10QBI - I could not find a single CPU socket that worked for booting, but socket 1 + either socket 3 or 4 worked for me (I currently have 2x e7-8891 v4 with ddr3 in mine in socket 1&4 (I haven't had time to poke at it lately or find more/different CPUs))
Good luck!

Reactions: angel_bee

angel_bee

Jul 24, 2020
@angel_bee you might need to buy 2 to test - that's what I found in my testing with the X10QBI - I could not find a single CPU socket that worked for booting, but socket 1 + either socket 3 or 4 worked for me (I currently have 2x e7-8891 v4 with ddr3 in mine in socket 1&4 (I haven't had time to poke at it lately or find more/different CPUs))
Good luck!
hey thanks so much for the advice, actually your advice on the thread on xeon v3/v4s with x10qbi was extremely helpful too. this is still really new territory and i really appreciate any help that can (potentially) prevent me from wasting money :D

angel_bee

Jul 24, 2020
Good luck!
hey do you also know whether multiple engineering samples with different codes e.g. QK5U, QK6T etc... would they work? or would they be too different?

jpk

Nov 6, 2015
I bought 4x v2 CPUs for cheap to play and test with before I bought the v4 CPUs (which I kind of bought because they were cheap, but kind of regretting it now because I'd like to have four, and they tend to be expensive :rolleyes:)
I don't know about ES chips, but I did try mixing different production CPUs to no avail (which I expected)
Is there a reason you want v4 instead of the v3 CPUs? I've been thinking about trying to get some 8890 v3s if they come back down in price, but there is a premium on v4 CPUs right now.

Reactions: angel_bee

angel_bee

Jul 24, 2020
I bought 4x v2 CPUs for cheap to play and test with before I bought the v4 CPUs (which I kind of bought because they were cheap, but kind of regretting it now because I'd like to have four, and they tend to be expensive :rolleyes:)
I don't know about ES chips, but I did try mixing different production CPUs to no avail (which I expected)
Is there a reason you want v4 instead of the v3 CPUs? I've been thinking about trying to get some 8890 v3s if they come back down in price, but there is a premium on v4 CPUs right now.
v4s seem to have slight IPC increase over the v3. and i want to get something that's similar-ish to Xeon platinum system (which is what i'm currently borrowing right now), but not too far off in terms of single core performance. i feel like v3s might be too old? ...