[WTB] 2x8GB or 2x16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM (not registered!) 2666+ 288 pins RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

plidosir

Jan 24, 2021
It's for a workstation. I need the RAM to be ECC, but unregistered (UDIMM not RDIMM) for a Xeon E-2134...

I'm in Switzerland, but hopefully these are small and easy to ship from anywhere.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Can you use 32GB modules? I think there's people here that my have some spare 32GB ECC UDIMMs from the CDW outlet deal a while back.

plidosir

Jan 24, 2021
I don't actually know... It's a Lenovo P330, the PSREF says max 4x16GB but I think they later made a BIOS update to take 2nd gen E-2xxx CPUs and 128GB. And aside from the PSREF, I don't know where to find updated info on that machine.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I don't actually know... It's a Lenovo P330, the PSREF says max 4x16GB but I think they later made a BIOS update to take 2nd gen E-2xxx CPUs and 128GB. And aside from the PSREF, I don't know where to find updated info on that machine.
I'll usually start by checking compuram.biz since they do a lot of validating on memory limits beyond factory, and sure enough, yours can take 32GB modules:

Not only that, but according to them apparently the xeons can also use non-ecc ram if you want to go that route.

plidosir

Jan 24, 2021
I'll usually start by checking compuram.biz since they do a lot of validating on memory limits beyond factory, and sure enough, yours can take 32GB modules:

Not only that, but according to them apparently the xeons can also use non-ecc ram if you want to go that route.
Thanks for the link, didn't know it!

They can use non-ECC but you can't mix, and I already have some ECC RAM in there that I'd prefer to keep using. Unless I can't find ECC UDIMMs, then I'll get non-ECC memory and sell the ones I already have because it's a PITA to find ECC that isn't registered.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Thanks for the link, didn't know it!

They can use non-ECC but you can't mix, and I already have some ECC RAM in there that I'd prefer to keep using. Unless I can't find ECC UDIMMs, then I'll get non-ECC memory and sell the ones I already have because it's a PITA to find ECC that isn't registered.
Welcome! If DDR4 ECC UDIMMs work like they did on DDR3, you can mix and match, but all of them operate without ECC. ECC UDIMMs seem to always be the most expensive egg in the basket even though they're supposed to be cheaper than ECC REG--go figure.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Hi, ECC udimm's are relatively rare, and after having a saved search on ebay with email alerts for some 6 months now, i can tell you it's unlikely you will find any kind of good deal for them secondhand. They just don't come up on the second-hand market because so few people have hardware that run ecc udimm's, and if they do, they more likely run non-ecc anyways.

But recently i bought for my C246 workstation with a Xeon E-2186G the new Mushkin's, which are they cheapest available in Europe. They work great. Check you motherboard HCL or your current working modules for the timings, and if they are CL 19-19-19-43, then i'd recommend you just get the Mushkin Proline's: the 16GB (single-rank or dual-rank) go for 70 EUR, and 32GB (dual-rank) for 143 EUR. (which is not bad considering the small market for them)

Arbeitsspeicher (RAM) Speicher mit Typen: DDR4/DIMM/mit ECC/Unregistered Module/Unbuffered Memory, Hersteller: Mushkin, Einzelmodulgröße: 16GB/32GB, Speichertakt ab 2666MHz, Column Address Strobe Latency (CL): 19 Preisvergleich Geizhals EU

plidosir

Jan 24, 2021
Hi, ECC udimm's are relatively rare, and after having a saved search on ebay with email alerts for some 6 months now, i can tell you it's unlikely you will find any kind of good deal for them secondhand. They just don't come up on the second-hand market because so few people have hardware that run ecc udimm's, and if they do, they more likely run non-ecc anyways.

But recently i bought for my C246 workstation with a Xeon E-2186G the new Mushkin's, which are they cheapest available in Europe. They work great. Check you motherboard HCL or your current working modules for the timings, and if they are CL 19-19-19-43, then i'd recommend you just get the Mushkin Proline's: the 16GB (single-rank or dual-rank) go for 70 EUR, and 32GB (dual-rank) for 143 EUR. (which is not bad considering the small market for them)

Arbeitsspeicher (RAM) Speicher mit Typen: DDR4/DIMM/mit ECC/Unregistered Module/Unbuffered Memory, Hersteller: Mushkin, Einzelmodulgröße: 16GB/32GB, Speichertakt ab 2666MHz, Column Address Strobe Latency (CL): 19 Preisvergleich Geizhals EU
Thank you. What makes it even more difficult is that so many retailers don’t bother specifying if the ECC RAM they’re selling is UDIMM or RDIMM.

Reactions: Joel and Samir

plidosir

Jan 24, 2021
Welcome! If DDR4 ECC UDIMMs work like they did on DDR3, you can mix and match, but all of them operate without ECC. ECC UDIMMs seem to always be the most expensive egg in the basket even though they're supposed to be cheaper than ECC REG--go figure.
The PSREF says ECC and non-ECC are supported but can’t be intermixed.

it came with ECC RAM but I wonder what are the actual benefits for my use case. It’s not my server, it’s my daily driver so I don’t think I *really* needECC especially if the modules end up costing twice as much.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The PSREF says ECC and non-ECC are supported but can’t be intermixed.

it came with ECC RAM but I wonder what are the actual benefits for my use case. It’s not my server, it’s my daily driver so I don’t think I *really* needECC especially if the modules end up costing twice as much.
Yeah, and the same thing was said about DDR3 and I've mixed them fine and they all run non-ecc.

As far as the benefits--imo it's longer uptimes.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Main benefits are if you use a filesystem like ZFS, and then generally reduced likelihood your potential future issues are due to flipped RAM bits

heromode

May 25, 2020
Thank you. What makes it even more difficult is that so many retailers don’t bother specifying if the ECC RAM they’re selling is UDIMM or RDIMM.
Generally if not specified it's then rdimm.. rdimm and udimm are completely different beasts, different use cases. ecc udimm is rare, only supported by a few select chipsets, so don't get confused by the large numbers of ecc rdimm on second hand market.. only about 2% of them is udimm, and it will be clearly stated.

edit. here is all the 16 and 32GB ecc udimm's basically in existance:

Arbeitsspeicher (RAM) Speicher mit Typen: DDR4/DIMM/mit ECC/Unregistered Module/Unbuffered Memory, Einzelmodulgröße: 16GB/32GB Preisvergleich Geizhals EU

edit.. sry, you're right, some of the retailers don't state it too clearly.. always check with manufacturer homepage. But basically just get the cheapest ones that are the timings you need.. from that list you can collect the product codes, and create a ebay search

edit again: from your post it seems like you need 2666 MHz modules, that leaves only the timings, which are most likely gonna be 19-19-19-43. Which leaves you with again the Mushkins. You won't find anything on the second hand market.

Last edited:

plidosir

Jan 24, 2021
Alright, I bought a 16GB module (non-ECC) for 40.- and I'll put it with the ECC RAM that's already there. If it doesn't work, I'll sell the ECC RAM and buy another 16GB non-ECC module to replace it.

ECC is nice, but I can't justify paying 100% more for it on my desktop.

bubsterboo

Dec 15, 2019
I'm also looking for 2x16 or 2x32gb ddr4 ecc udimm for a ryzen based home server.
Which module did you buy plidosir?