Wow, I just learned something about SM PSU's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
My workstation, which consists of an SC745TQ, X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD, 8HD's and a single 920 Platinum PSU has been humming along nicely for almost a year now. While not silent, it wasn't objectionably noisy. I just swapped out the 920 PSU for a 1280 SQ and the difference is like night and day. I assumed most of the noise was coming from the 8 chassis fans I have in the box. I was wrong. Most of the noise was in fact coming from the PSU. This box is amazingly quiet now. I have a couple more SQ's running in the rack but back there, the LB6M dominates and I can't hear the silence over it. But in here where it's quiet, the difference is profound. I'm convinced the SQ PSU's are worth every penny if quiet is important.

Reactions: William

pc-tecky

May 1, 2013
@Fritz, what PSUs did you end up getting? I see a few available options. Do I want the 920W, the 1280w or the 1400w PSU? Do they have different PCB connectors so as to make them not work in older chassis?