Would you consider this exchange insulting?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
I see two components to this.

As someone who doesn’t have much of a tech budget, there are times when I can’t justify the initially requested outlay, but a 20% drop might bring it down into my range. Or maybe even 10%. I’ve also seen some items hang around on the forums for months, gradually being dropped in price as the seller finds the price buyers are prepared to pay. In this case having information from a potential buyer can only be helpful to the seller.

The second component is the tone of the message, which I think comes across as cocky if anything. But I wouldn’t take it as an insult personally. It could be some sort of negotiation strategy to maybe drive the price lower, but that’s business. I don’t know how successful it would be at that.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
negotiation strategy
See
10 Hard-Bargaining Tactics & Negotiation Skills
From the article ,
tactic #1
Extreme demands followed up by small, slow concessions
Good cop, bad cop.

If it is the internet like ebay, every should have 2 ebay accounts. 1 account used for negotiation ( Best Offer ),
another account to do the transaction.

Buyer framed the price in your mind.
My guess is the buyer after hitting send button, he / she won't spend more than 5 seconds to worry about the deal.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The following seems to be around from the dawn of the internet, and often ignored: dont post anything that u would not say on another person's face.
And since the start of the internet that's been ignored, LOL

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
User A on another platform listed an item for sale at $1000. User B posted: when your item does not sell in 3-4 weeks I’ll take it for $800 cash.

I replied to B’s post that it was insulting to make a public declaration demanding 20% off and assuming the deal would close.

Is my reply insulting? Would you consider B’s post insulting?
No - It's a fairly mediocre negotiating tactic. it should not be considered insulting to you per-se, unless the bidder is repeatedly badgering you about it. In a free and open market anyone is allowed to bid/ask at whatever they want, it's a completely different matter whether they are being taken seriously or not.