Would like to build a novelty server for vintage game hosting and servers high thread count, low tdp

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chandla

Aug 21, 2017
So I'm struggling to wrap my head around this because the nature of moore's law combined with TDP makes this a lot more complex than I think I can understand and process. I'm interested in building out a machine to run a large number of VM images on that will be running at low workloads. So virtualized installs of Windows 2000 server etc. I've come here because as a "homelab" question, invariably things will gravitate to monstrous, huge power hungry machines like 4 node C series dells.

I'm hoping that need not be the solution.

So far as I understand this, I'm looking for high core and thread counts, low tdp if I can get away with it, since single thread performance does not need to be high.

Hoping you guys can help me sort this out in my head.

Is this a case of me overthinking what the solution actual is, which is instead low tdp with a high enough passmark? I'm okay running this on an SSD which should help a lot.

Or is this something to run on a cluster from?

I just don't want a power hungry machine running a bunch of useless stuff 24/7, and I'd prefer to keep it up. And I don't know the most reasonable way to accomplish this.

So far I believe the ideal way to accomplish this is with a Opteron 6262 HE. 9K passmark, low single thread and low TDP with .

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Define "large number" of VMs. Will they all be running at once or what's your plan?

Define the "etc" when you said Windows 2000 etc...

Specify the "vintage games" you plan to host.

This will help others give you more on target advice :)

Chandla

Aug 21, 2017
The VMs will be running but not really doing a whole lot. So not a bunch of concurrently used VMs. I would go "up to" Windows 2000. All running, but most not doing a whole lot of anything. Just would like to be able to remote into and have them do things like host rudimentary FTPs.

Basically like "hey remember when NT4..." Yeah, still have one running right now. So I'm not sure the idle processor usage of say Windows 2000 in terms of passmark\single thread usage.

The game hosting will be up to around Quake 3 esc stuff. Probably 8 people on a server here and there. And not getting a whole lot of use.

I guess I need someone who understands theoreticals and how these things interact with CPU usage well.

I don't have a concrete plan yet, I need to understand more of what I'm looking for so I don't build a machine gun to kill a rat.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
you're better off with a lower thread count and higher clock for a bunch of idle VMs. A C3xxx series with a 4-8 cores, or even a desktop chip that supports virtualization should be fine. The C3xxx is a better option if you think you'll have stupid apps that will just spin 100% on one core while doing nothing.

Chandla

Aug 21, 2017
you're better off with a lower thread count and higher clock for a bunch of idle VMs. A C3xxx series with a 4-8 cores, or even a desktop chip that supports virtualization should be fine. The C3xxx is a better option if you think you'll have stupid apps that will just spin 100% on one core while doing nothing.
i3-7350k?

I unfortunately don't know how this will play out yet since I haven't gone down the path yet. Was hoping someone has a similar setup to offer advice.

When you say C series, celeron?

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
i3-7350k?

I unfortunately don't know how this will play out yet since I haven't gone down the path yet. Was hoping someone has a similar setup to offer advice.

When you say C series, celeron?
denverton.

Chandla

Aug 21, 2017
Looks nice but crazy expensive! In a couple years those are going to be amazing for exactly my use case. Lot's of threads, super low power.

aij

May 7, 2017
Looks nice but crazy expensive! In a couple years those are going to be amazing for exactly my use case. Lot's of threads, super low power.
It might help to give a ballpark of what your power / purchase price budgets are like..

An R710 with enough RAM might do well enough if you don't mind it drawing 100 - 200 W (depending on how idle it is).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk