Would Hyper-V be fully supported on this older hardware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Vocalpoint

Mar 25, 2016
Calgary, AB
In an effort to purge a huge pile of old "desktop" parts from my stash (circa 2009-2011) I have now cherry picked the best couple of motherboards, CPU etc etc to build a secondary server

The intent of this second box is as a backup zone to our primary home server AND I also wanted to create a couple of VMs.

The plan is to install Windows Server 2012R2 Standard with the Hyper-V role enabled

But as I read more about the CPU I intend to use (Q9550) on the motherboard I intend to save (GigaByte EP45-UD3R) with the RAM I have available (8GB DDR2) - I am getting a sense that certain virtualization extensions for Hyper-V 2012 may not be fully supported given the age of these parts. Things like SLAT etc come to mind.

I am trying to get current on the feasibility on using these old parts in this capacity. While I realize this stuff is ancient in terms of currency - it remains very capable and functional and represents a zero cost alternative plus an option to do some learning at the same time.

Appreciate any thoughts on the above.

Cheers!

VP

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
install TP5 (available today) and then at a powershell prompt. do a serverinfo.exe at the bottom of the output will show you if hyperV will be supported on your platform.

Chris

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
You asked if it will be supported in the future. that is the future. and it will tell you what you are lacking.

Chris

Vocalpoint

Mar 25, 2016
Calgary, AB
You asked if it will be supported in the future. that is the future. and it will tell you what you are lacking.

Chris
Apologies but I am pretty certain I stated :

"The plan is to install Windows Server 2012R2 Standard with the Hyper-V role enabled"

And...

"I am getting a sense that certain virtualization extensions for Hyper-V 2012 may not be fully supported given the age of these parts. Things like SLAT etc come to mind."

VP

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
and what I gave you was a method of finding out where you are deficient without spending any money.

in 2012, you can get the same information by doing a msinfo32.exe. and just look at the bottom of the GUI.

Chris

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Hyper-v will work on that without issue on server 2012R2 but you're right SLAT is missing which i believe is a requirement for VDI/device passthrough.

As a home server though they could certainly manage, I might try selling them and buying something from ebay though, dell's precision line desktops come to mind

Vocalpoint

Mar 25, 2016
Calgary, AB
Hyper-v will work on that without issue on server 2012R2 but you're right SLAT is missing which i believe is a requirement for VDI/device passthrough.
Looks like the CPU (on server) only needs SLAT if :

"SLAT is required on the server if the RemoteFX role service is enabled"

No problems with that here. I think I may be OK...

VP

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Looks like the CPU (on server) only needs SLAT if :

"SLAT is required on the server if the RemoteFX role service is enabled"

No problems with that here. I think I may be OK...

VP
My offices current hyper-v cluster is using that generation xeon(they're due for replacment soon) I'd still recommend selling it and buying something with a higher memory capacity or lower power usage(or both)

Vocalpoint

Mar 25, 2016
Calgary, AB
My offices current hyper-v cluster is using that generation xeon(they're due for replacment soon) I'd still recommend selling it and buying something with a higher memory capacity or lower power usage(or both)
My chip is not a Xeon - it's a desktop Q9550 circa 2010. As such - probably not a big market for that old timer :)

And - this is for a home install - so I am not worried about power usage etc.

Finally my primary goal here is zero cost with a nod to a total reuse for this project. I am only keeping those pieces that will provide a basic simple server build for the next year or two.

If I can get this running smoothly - it should simply sit quietly in the rack doing it's thing for the home network.

VP

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Home usage so don't care about power, I would have expected the exact opposite, I don't care about power in the DC too much (efficiency is still important) but at home where I personally am paying ~30 cents / kwhr I very much don't care for high consumption.