Worth upgrading: L5640 to dual E5-2670?

Should I upgrade?

• yes

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
I have 2 Intel 2U Server - Server System SR2625URBRPR 2 x L5640 CPU +24GB Ram. I plan on selling one and using the other. But the Deal #4 in the for sale section for an Intel-S2600CP2J-128GB - Intel S2600CP Motherboard w/ Dual E5-2670 keeps popping into my head.

If i keep the L5640 i only need to invest in more memory and some hdds. If I go with deal #4 i need case, psu, hdd and some misc items. I already own the 2u servers and would need to sell both to fund the deal #4.

so outside the desire to always upgrade, is it really worth upgrading from what i have to e5 deal?

this will be used for esxi and to run various vms for work, nothing mission critical.

Thanks

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
so outside the desire to always upgrade, is it really worth upgrading from what i have to e5 deal?
I don't have specific experience with those two systems, but I have some general guidelines which may be useful to you (or to anyone else with the same sort of question):

1) Does it make economic sense from a cost savings standpoint? Will the cost of the electricity you save come close to (or exceed) your cost to buy new equipment, minus any money you get from selling the old equipment? If you will save more on electricity in 2 to 3 years than the net cost of the new equipment, it is probably worth doing. If you are in a colocation facility (unusual for a hobby system, but I have a few hobbyists as customers at work), will a new server let you move to a smaller footprint and save on cabinet fees?

2) Do you need more performance than your current system offers? If so, you probably want to upgrade.

3) Do intangibles make it worth while in your situation? This could be "coolness factor" or something like being able to learn things that make you a better employee / consultant (assuming you work in this industry, which I assume most folks here do)?

Reactions: marcoi

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Thanks Terry. I made a decision. Originally based on wattage usage of both systems, using killawatt for intel server and online reports of dual e5 systems, they were very close at idle and load so from a power perspective it didnt make sense to upgrade. but as more STH users posted their results of wattage of their new dual e5 systems i seen a big difference. so in the end the savings of 100 (give or take) watts between idle push me to get the new dual e5. Power is always a factor for me being I like in New England and it isnt cheap.

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
I'd upgrade just to get more RAM. 24GB is not too much these days. You can probably sell that old setup and it'd cost you not much to do the upgrade. I'd also want PCIE 3 and more lanes with the E5 system. PCIE 2 is too dated.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
ill probably combine this one server into my prod home and dev work box and maybe sell the e3 system i build last year. depends on the KWH once finally put together and how loud it is :)

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Maybe running the E5 with just one CPU is an option if you don't need 16 cores in each box and it's mainly to increase RAM and pcie 3.
Could save quite a bit of electricity, but if you can also replace another E3 with it it's maybe worth to go Dual CPU with the E5.