Workstation impressions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
I use my primary computer 12 - 18 hours a day. Mostly it's just for browser (up to 15 open browser windows), email (2 different email apps) and Office apps (O2007 Word and Excel). I write, edit and review technical papers. Sometimes I run MS Flight Simulator X.

Within the last few months, I have become increasingly concerned about my [previous] PC under stress of 20+ open windows and what appears to be terminal temperature problems. The configuration of that PC:

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
AMD FX-8320 o/c'ed to 4ghz
4GB of DDR3 1333
GTX-750Ti
Samsung 750 SSD
W10 Pro [upgraded from W7 Ultimate]

It just seemed like the system was running out of steam even though the CPU was running under 60% utilization across all "8 cores." There were times when the system was completely bogged down. The CPU temps were regularly above 55C and I saw more than once CPU temps reported above 60C. Hot for FX-series processors. I backed off the overclocking and cleaned the huge Zalman HSF without much improvement. The heat pipes were hot to the touch shortly after the system shut down. The voltages seem OK, but the temps were out of control. Three different anti-virus applications show nothing out of the ordinary, just heavy usage for applications and plugins.

That's the background for this project.

I decided to build a workstation using a pair of E5-2670 v1 processors to observe whether that addressed the issues. It took a few attempts to get a solid working motherboard. I tried a used Supermicro X9DR3-F but it had a dead memory slot and a dead PCIe slot. Non-starter. I tried a new ASRock Rack EP2C602-4L/D16 but the mb was DOA. A second ASRock mb seemed to do the trick. I played around with a few different operating systems settling on W7 Ult 64-bit. So the complete current configuration is:

ASRock Rack EP2C602-4L/D16
2 x E5-2670 V1 (SR0KX)
8 x 4BG Samsung memory modules (4 sticks per CPU)
GTX 750Ti video card
A gaggle of SATA SSD and spinner drives (Samsung 750 250GB SSD 6gbs on the primary Intel controller for boot, O/S and programs, Kingston 110GB SSD dedicated for pagefile on the Marvel controller / 6gbs, other drives on SCU, spinner drives for archive and rarely used data)
USB PCIe expansion card
ASUS Xonar DGX audio card
EVGA SuperNova 850 B PSU
Corsair 750 Obesity case

I have loaded in HWiNFO64 v5.36-2960 to monitor the CPU.

It has been running a couple of days and is stable. VERY stable. I don't use "sleep" mode but will test that. Eventually.

The system takes quite a long time to boot mostly due to extended POST. POST seems to take a long time to get past the Marvel controller. W7 actually comes up reasonably fast after POST. Maybe not as fast as the FX-8320 on W10, but acceptable.

Office applications (O2007) are stable and as fast as the FX-8320. Single applications start and execute just fine. Loaded and used Avast (free version) without any performance degradation at all. That is an improvement over the FX-8320 which was notably, but not terribly slower. The system works quite well in W7. No issues, no complaints

The biggest difference is that when a lot of windows multiple instances of the same application along side half a dozen different open applications, the system seem to take everything in stride. Temps increase a few degrees but stay in the 35C to 40C range +/- a couple of degrees, most of the time, rarely hitting 50C. Well under the max. Task manager shows very little CPU usage. The system just absorbs load without bogging down or heating up. That meets my needs.

The new workstation seems a touch slower, but that is expected with the difference in clock speed. Loading programs with large files (e.g. email with large folders) is faster. This is likely due to the improved anti-virus performance. Flight Simulator performance with everything on the highest settings is slightly slower possibly due to the slower clock speed. But the CPU remains cool.

The bottom line is that the overall performance is significantly improved when the system is loaded with different applications and a lot of open / active windows . And the system remains cool. Though the dual CPU system is more expensive than the FX-8320-based system, the performance seems worth the difference in price when the system is used as I use it.

Not to be critical of the FX-8320, but the dual E5-2670 is just in a different league when it comes to multitasking.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Bill1950 thanks for your input! Good to hear you have something that is working well for you. At some point you will get the bug to upgrade and when you do, going 8x8GB or 16x 8GB is probably going to put a big smile on your face. The ability to use tons of RAM is a major winner on the E5 platforms.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
When I pick up 8 x 8gb memory, which processor should get those modules? Current configuration is 4x 4gb per processor. I could put all 8 of those 4gb modules on one processor and the new 8 x 8 on the other. How can I tell which processor will benefit from having 64gb? Is there a tool that runs in W7 that will help analyze which which processor is using more memory? Which processor will benefit from the additional memory?

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I still have AMD Phenom II X4 955 running as one of my computer right now. but my other 3 are all intel based. unfortunately amd good days has passed. ;( I do wish they can get something competitive back to challenge intel and NVidia..

yeah, cpu temp on the intel systems are usually lower. my amd one routinely hit 60+ degree C.

As far as win10 goes, my s2600cp2j and Lenovo d30 both running it real good with sleep function and not one crash yet.

Should definitely get a lot of ram for your system. go for at least 64gb with all 8gb modules.

Just wish that we have a drop on the v2 cpu. would love to get my hand on those 10 cores cpu..

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Bill, I tend to use the same quantity on each CPU. When you upgrade, may be time to sell the 4GB modules.