workstation for 3D Cad & simulations

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

viv

Jan 9, 2017
hi,

Build’s Name: N/A

Operating System/ Storage Platform:
win 10 pro

CPU:
Budget is def an issue. I will be starting with TWO E5-2609 v4 (8C, 1.7GHz, 1866MHz, 20MB, 85W) which is around 200$. To be honest, not really sure if there is a better choice for the buck which includes turbo. I am guessing 8 cores should be good.

Motherboard:
Z10PE-D8 WS

Chassis:
rosewell armor evo
Rosewill ARMOR-EVO - Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case - Supports Up to E-ATX MBs - Six (6) Pre-Installed Fans: 2 x Front Red LED 120mm, 2 x Top 120mm, 1 x Side 230mm, 1 x Rear 120mm (Supports Up to 9)-Newegg.com
this case is a mid tower offering compatibility with EATX and SSI EEB. If anyone had this case of had experience with it do let me know. This one the few out there that offers Eatx SSI EEB compatibility in a mid tower.

Drives: open for suggestion

RAM:
128g

Add-in Cards:
open for suggestion

Power Supply:
open for suggestion

Usage Profile: 3D CAD MODELING AND SIMULATIONS/GAMING.

Other information…
I am looking to build a dual cpu workstation for 3d modeling. so far I have the Z10PE-D8 WS picked out. I will be using the build mainly for 3D cad modeling simulations and some gaming. I am guessing the MB might come with many other options which i may or may not be needing that is more pertinent to I.T or servers. Is it possible to turn off the things i dont need and simply use what will help me in my work. what I mean is are there things that are initiated during boot that i can turn off or do i have to go through the full boot up time.

in conclusion:
Z10PE-D8 WS with TWO E5-2609 v4 in a rosewell armor evo

any advice on MB and CPU's.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Mind if I ask a few questions:
1. Are you going to use all of the PCIe slots at first?
2. What have you purchased thus far?
3. Are you doing GPU acceleration? Assuming you want a GPU for gaming. What were you thinking on that front?
4. What kind of networking are you using?

Regards,
Patrick

viv

Jan 9, 2017
thanks for your reply,

I will be using 2 pcie slots (SLI).
GTX 1080 SLI is good enough for gaming. I never have but would like to use GPU acceleration.
will be using it for home network...Direct cable connection. there will be more computers to connect later down the line.

so far i have got a gtx1080 and corsair hx1000i PSU. neet to purchase everything else.

I am trying to build something that might fit into a mid tower if possible. i know an Eatx might be a problem but if it is doable I can then pick out a case following any suggestion i get here. with the rosewell evo there are some who say the EATX fits and some who disagree. so, not sure.

from research thus far the Z10PE-D8 WS is stable as workstation and for gaming...unless otherwise mentioned.

viv

Jan 9, 2017
yes I would have to get a quadro for acceleration. but whats more logical...GTX or an accelerated quadro for gaming?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
yes I would have to get a quadro for acceleration. but whats more logical...GTX or an accelerated quadro for gaming?
You can still game on the quadro(possibly with few fps hit but otherwise without issue), but you can't always(sometimes you can cross flash) enable all the acceleration on a gtx, the bigger quadros especially tend to have hardware features that are disabled or removed entirely from the gtx cards

viv

Jan 9, 2017
thanks for the reply.

yes, I am not trying to do any weather simulations or something as grand. i do use autodesk vred for presentations that are gpu intensive. the GTX dosent do a bad job but the way i see it, a good sli gtx can manage my load of date. the latest quadros are great if u have the money. I do work with e5 2680 2.7 GHz xeons at work, since i need viewport power with a lot of math on screen. i do need opinions on mb and cpu's with a new rigg. hoping the ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS will suffice with xeons. I am looking to have the best i can get with a decent budget.

really aiming at maxmize cpu potential with 3d packages.

Last edited:

viv

Jan 9, 2017
Do you have to have a certain dual socket MB's to utilize xeon turbos or is it something all MB's can do?

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
I would suggest avoid using Quadro card if you are not: 1) using 10bit color; 2) using Solidwork. I purchased Quadro M5000 and I regretted after comparing it with 1070/1080. GTX Pascal series card can meet most of your need.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I would suggest avoid using Quadro card if you are not: 1) using 10bit color; 2) using Solidwork. I purchased Quadro M5000 and I regretted after comparing it with 1070/1080. GTX Pascal series card can meet most of your need.
Don't forget most of what Autodesk makes(autocad, inventor 3dsmax) and adobe's mercury playback engine(although you can enable that on a GTX with a little file editing)

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Don't forget most of what Autodesk makes(autocad, inventor 3dsmax) and adobe's mercury playback engine(although you can enable that on a GTX with a little file editing)
Understand. It all comes down to the needs and the cost/performance ratio. There are those who need Quadro for no doubt but most of the individual users don't. Just a reminder to the OP.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
i could be wrong but the last time i checked professional apps needed the quadro cards to use acceleration rather than the consumer level ones i think the gimping happens in the software
Some of it is software based, and bypassable(I've been able to enable it in adobe products even though it's not supported for example) and crossflashing is an option depending on which cards you're comparing as well
Some of it is hardware based, especially at the high end which usually has better compute support(although if memory serves that was separated into tesla this past generation)

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
could the op get a gaming card and a whatever-gen-is-affordable tesla as an add-on and have the sw take advantage of that or are we not there yet?
Actually the current nvidia drivers do allow you to instruct it to run all compute tasks on one card and graphics on the other, I've never tried it with a tesla but it does work with a quadro and a gtx

Reactions: Dk3 and gigatexal

viv

Jan 9, 2017
This is something i keep hearing. some claim they have got the EVGA sr-2 with 6 c xeons and overclocked them to 5.0 Hrtz, at the same time, it is mentioned the xeons are locked and cannot be overclocked, but can turbo. when you overclock a xeon is it the same as turbo or are they 2 different things?

THE EVGA Classified SR-2 claims you can experience the ultimate in overclocked multithreaded performance by way of Dual 1366 sockets which allow for hyper-threaded Intel Xeon. Does this mean the xeons now are different in flexibility with the 2011 socket MB's and locked and only offer more push with those that come with turbo?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
This is something i keep hearing. some claim they have got the EVGA sr-2 with 6 c xeons and overclocked them to 5.0 Hrtz, at the same time, it is mentioned the xeons are locked and cannot be overclocked, but can turbo. when you overclock a xeon is it the same as turbo or are they 2 different things?

THE EVGA Classified SR-2 claims you can experience the ultimate in overclocked multithreaded performance by way of Dual 1366 sockets which allow for hyper-threaded Intel Xeon. Does this mean the xeons now are different in flexibility with the 2011 socket MB's and locked and only offer more push with those that come with turbo?
Some Xeon cpu's share the same processor die with intels upper end consumer products and have shipped unlocked but it's not something I would build a system around

viv

Jan 9, 2017
Some Xeon cpu's share the same processor die with intels upper end consumer products and have shipped unlocked but it's not something I would build a system around
Also assuming the engineering samples are also aimed at consumers and are specific to their uses. They can have problems like no boost clock, lower clock speed, disabled cores, incompatibilities....??

Last edited: