Workstation case with individual drive lights?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Atarres

Jun 8, 2016
Hey all,

I'm looking for a case that has individual drive lights. Ideally one that can handle 8 drives. My reasoning is for drive monitoring to identify specific broken/failing drives for quick swap jobs. Anyone know of a case that can do this (not a server case?) If a server case is the ONLY real option in that regard, then I will consider that. But ideally a workstation would be better. I did some searching and either my google-fu is off or such a case is not currently available. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
What size drives are you going to use? 3.5 or 2.5? You could get a case with a bunch of 5.25 inch bays and place an enterprise level hotswap chassis in there (Supermicro comes to mind). You'll then need an HBA or RAID controller that can do SES-2 to the backplane on the hotswap chassis so you get the proper LED function. The standard onboard SATA ports cannot usually provide this functionality.

To give you an idea, I currently have this: Supermicro | Products | Accessories | Mobile Racks | CSE-M28SAB-OEM in this Silverstone case: SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- GD07 paired to an LSI 9265 RAID controller with a bunch of 2TB hard drives. This machine is my Windows Media Center HTPC. The drive activity, failure and identify drive functions all work.

Reactions: Atarres

Atarres

Jun 8, 2016
It would be a mix of drives. I generally have adapters to convert a 2.5 drive to a 3.5/5.25 slots. So in that sense agnostic, The HBA's I've already got so that's a non-issue. I suspected I would need such to make this work. Only drive connected to motherboard would be my primary drive anyway. I need to monitor the rest of the drives for data storage. Boot drive while monitored will be easy to know if/when it fails :p

Your setup is EXACTLY what I am looking for. But if I had to adapt 2.5 drives how would I adapt them into the supermicro? Near future I might want to go to SSD all the way. Currently just larger NAS drives running in my current setup.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I have Icy Dock 3.5" in 5.25" and they have their own lights, I have a 3x3.5 into 2x5.25 and a 5x5.25 in 5.25.

If your case had enough 5.25 use both for 8 ;) hehe.

They have their own fans onthem too, and the fans are not silent like the rest of my mini-tower so keep that inmind.
It's a "loud workstation" type sound not a server/rack style sound fwiw.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
Your setup is EXACTLY what I am looking for. But if I had to adapt 2.5 drives how would I adapt them into the supermicro? Near future I might want to go to SSD all the way. Currently just larger NAS drives running in my current setup.
You could get this: Supermicro | Products | Accessories | Mobile Rack | CSE-M35TQB which takes 3.5 inch drives and if you want to put a 2.5 inch drive in the tray, use an adapter that positions the SATA/SAS connector properly for a hotswap backplane. You'll just need a case that has enough 5.25 bays. I have an older (discontinued) Corsair Obsidian 900D or 950D that is a full tower with 8 or so 5.25 bays in the front that would work for this purpose. I'm sure Corsair and some other case manufacturers have current full towers with similar setups.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
I have Icy Dock 3.5" in 5.25" and they have their own lights, I have a 3x3.5 into 2x5.25 and a 5x5.25 in 5.25.
Does the Icy Dock indicators work for drive activity and failure? On the budget SATA hotswap bays I used in the past, I could never get the LEDs to work consistently. Some HDs would trigger the LEDs on the hotswap bay, but most wouldn't. Back in the day when I used them, I would P-Touch label the serial number (or last few digits) of the hard drive to the front of the sled so I could identify which drive failed thru whatever utility the particular controller I used at the time (most would tell you the serial number of the active drives so it made it easier to find the serial number of the dead drive).

Atarres

Jun 8, 2016
Does the Icy Dock indicators work for drive activity and failure? On the budget SATA hotswap bays I used in the past, I could never get the LEDs to work consistently. Some HDs would trigger the LEDs on the hotswap bay, but most wouldn't. Back in the day when I used them, I would P-Touch label the serial number (or last few digits) of the hard drive to the front of the sled so I could identify which drive failed thru whatever utility the particular controller I used at the time (most would tell you the serial number of the active drives so it made it easier to find the serial number of the dead drive).
I like the labeling by serial idea! I use Stablebit Scanner to monitor the drives, but the same could be applied to my other setup as well! Some great ideas in here overall. I'll have to see how I can adapt it for my needs.

Atarres

Jun 8, 2016

They have their own fans onthem too, and the fans are not silent like the rest of my mini-tower so keep that inmind.
If the fans are of a standard type I can always swap em out with quieter versions. I'll have to research that. I did that with a supermicro rackmount server case I have the bulk of my storage on and it's quieter than a workstation, the PSUs were also replaced with quieter models and I still have a nice amount of cooling with the setup regardless.

Atarres

Jun 8, 2016

I have the same question for the Icy Dock. If I can use an app to light up the drive lights, that's the bee's knees for me. Its the whole reason for the setup.