[WITHDRAWN] [FT] [US-NY] Trading New ThreadRipper2, X399, 64GB DDR4 ECC for EPYC Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Everything is new in original boxes, untouched (well, maybe I took a peek at the beautiful motherboard). Purchased a few years ago for my server but never got around to build it.
  • 2x AMD ThreadRipper 2 2950X 16C/32T
  • Asrock Tachi X399
  • 64 GB (4x16GB) DDR4 Unbuffered DIMM ECC (matched to the 2950X)
I actually have two AMD 2950Xs new in box, if you want to trade for both. Wanted to build a gaming PC back then, but never got around to that either.

Note the unique memory: UDIMM ECC. This is not the normal RDIMM ECC that most servers use but instead ECC that the ThreadRipper 2 uses! That's why I bought it: for this combination.

Trading for an used EPYC CPU(s) + Motherboard combo (and heatsink!) of around equal value (~$1600?). Some DDR4 RDIMM ECC memory would be nice, but not required for the trade. I already have a chassis. But, would entertain chassis options for complete builds.

Basically, I want an AMD motherboard with IPMI as the new server closet is too difficult to work in. And the Asrock Rack X399D8A-2T (ThreadRipper 2 mobo w/IPMI) is just too insanely expensive.

Not really looking for Intel trades at this time as I have been trying to switch to AMD for all servers in the house (though still got a few Supermicro X9 systems going strong). But, if no one bites after some time...

If this post is still up without a [COMPLETE], then it's still available.

--
Heatware rep: Trader Reviews for eduncan911 | HeatWare.com
eBay rep: 21 years of 100% Rep on eBay, eduncan911

Previously Sold on STH over 7 years
Brocade ICX7250-48P
MikroTik CRS328-24P-4S+RM
2x IBM M1015 (LSI 9211)
10x 4GB HDD
Supermicro SAS2 6 Gbps Backplane for SC846/SC847 Chassis
2x WD 146GB 10,000 RPM SATA2
Misc Networking and PC Parts

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
After researching what Epyc 7001 and 7002 series are going for, for 8C and 16C each (to match the 2950X core count), yesh... The used market is still insanely expensive, not to mention the motherboards still cost a left-testicle.

I guess I'll just go ahead and build this server with the 2950X, even though there's no serial console on that mobo. I considered a swap for H470 with an 3950X - as there are server-like motherboards with IPMI for H470s hitting ebay now (unlike the impossible to find X399 asrock rack variants). However, in the end the quad channel memory bandwidth would be required for all the VMs/containers I plan on running (several dozen) and I was getting close on the PCIe lanes of the H470 (GPU + HBAs + dual 40Gbps).

Worse case, the kiddos would get the 2950X down the road. "Look kids, this was the beginning of when AMD was starting to take over the market. Notice the AMD logo on your phone, GPUs, and in the car owner's manual? Yep, this is where it all began on their world dominance."

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
You have to admit though that the packaging is really nice. I've never bought a motherboard with a viewing window built into the box. Its like ART! I'm so used to having to unwind my motherboards from 6 yards of bubble wrap and if I did get a new CPU, it was in a plain brown box with some cryptic HP or Dell spare number on it, all dog eared from kicking around a storage room for years. :p

@eduncan911 : I think you just build that thing! But put the second CPU on a shelf as an art piece :cool: . If you're feeling more adventurous, will something like Pi-KVM work for at least some control? After seeing this article on the main site, I've been looking at the various DIY offerings on the net for my Ryzen box:

https://www.servethehome.com/tinypilot-voyager-kvm-raspberry-pi-remote/

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Yep, I have the parts for a few Pi-KVMs. But it's hard for me to let go of a RPi for the project... Need to make up some RJ45 PoE connectors for the zeros.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Need to make up some RJ45 PoE connectors for the zeros
If you do that, please make a post somewhere here on how it works for you. I've got a couple Pi 3s that family members tinkered with then gave to me, so I'm primed for the project.

As a "low volume" of gear hobbyist, I didn't see the need for POE, but I keep running across situations where I think, "Golly, POE would have been nice for this," as I try to neatly tuck the third...or maybe sixth AC adapter behind everything. Well, I actually used a different word than "golly".

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
If you do that, please make a post somewhere here on how it works for you. I've got a couple Pi 3s that family members tinkered with then gave to me, so I'm primed for the project.

As a "low volume" of gear hobbyist, I didn't see the need for POE, but I keep running across situations where I think, "Golly, POE would have been nice for this," as I try to neatly tuck the third...or maybe sixth AC adapter behind everything. Well, I actually used a different word than "golly".
Well, for the full size Pis, like the Pi 3, you can just buy a $10 cable splitter:

I've used several of those.

The Zeros though, I want to add an RJ45 port AND split the POE off. I can get adapter above, but i still need to add an RJ45 port. There are a few breakout boards for around $7 on digikey.

Reactions: Markess