Winyao Network adapters

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wepee

Feb 11, 2020
Hi,

I just want some recommendations about Winyao branded Network adapters:
Winyao E574T Network adpater
or the 2.5Gb version: I225-T1 | Intel Original I225-T1 | Compufox.com

Anyone use them for their servers? What are your thoughts about Winyao NICs, Can you share your experience?
Winyao uses Intel chipset (whether genuine or not? I have no clue) to make its own network adapter.

Are the Winyao network adapters any good? Prefer to buy something more durable and fully supported by FreeBSD.

Thank you.

Last edited:

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Hi,

I just want some recommendations about Winyao branded Network adapters:
Winyao E574T Network adpater
or the 2.5Gb version: I225-T1 | Intel Original I225-T1 | Compufox.com

Anyone use them for their servers? What are your thoughts about Winyao NICs, Can you share your experience?
Winyao uses Intel chipset (whether genuine or not? I have no clue) to make its own network adapter.

Are the Winyao network adapters any good? Prefer to buy something more durable and fully supported by FreeBSD.

Thank you.
I've used a Winyao 2 port i350am2 based NIC in a firewall a while back, it worked fine as I recall.

I would not get the E574T, as far as I can tell it uses the 82574L controller, and that thing is antiquated, if I remember correctly it has relatively bad driver support nowadays.

I am not qualified to evaluate the quality of their cards, so I can't tell you if the build quality is comparable with a "real" Intel card and whether they will last for a long while or not.
For that reason I put them in the same bracket as cheap consumer realtek based cards and the "fake" Intel cards found everywhere on eBay/Amazon/etc.
This is a bracket I generally try to avoid, so I would probably suggest you find something from a more trustworthy vendor, but of course it depends on where you are, what kind of budget you have and all that...

If you want a recommendation, you might want to mention what you plan to do with it.
If the plan is to use it in a pfSense/Opnsense firewall, and all you need is 1G interfaces, something like a Fujitsu d3045 (uses an Intel i350am4 controller) is generally quite affordable in EU.

wepee

Feb 11, 2020
I've used a Winyao 2 port i350am2 based NIC in a firewall a while back, it worked fine as I recall.

I would not get the E574T, as far as I can tell it uses the 82574L controller, and that thing is antiquated, if I remember correctly it has relatively bad driver support nowadays.

I am not qualified to evaluate the quality of their cards, so I can't tell you if the build quality is comparable with a "real" Intel card and whether they will last for a long while or not.
For that reason I put them in the same bracket as cheap consumer realtek based cards and the "fake" Intel cards found everywhere on eBay/Amazon/etc.
This is a bracket I generally try to avoid, so I would probably suggest you find something from a more trustworthy vendor, but of course it depends on where you are, what kind of budget you have and all that...

If you want a recommendation, you might want to mention what you plan to do with it.
If the plan is to use it in a pfSense/Opnsense firewall, and all you need is 1G interfaces, something like a Fujitsu d3045 (uses an Intel i350am4 controller) is generally quite affordable in EU.
Thanks for the recommendation, unfortunately, I am not based in EU countries.
So, my budget is a bit tight. Actually my application is for Windows usage,
I can simply buy a cheap Tp-Link Realtek chip-based NIC will suffice.
However, I am thinking of long term investment here, so I am thinking of buying a Intel based NIC,
Just in case, I may use it later for home lab firewall.
Fujitsu d3045 uses PCI-E x4 slot which won't be useful, since my motherboard only has 2 slots of PCI-E x1.

I am thinking of buying this Intel NIC: 728562-001-HIGH P HP / INTEL PRO 10 / 1000 PCI-E X1 NETWORK INTERFACE CONTROLLER NIC - I210-T1 ( 1 ) ONE RJ45 CONNECTOR ( RJ-45 )
Its part number is = 728562-001-HIGH P (HP NIC)
What is your take on this card?
Does it support WOL & VLAN tagging? I can't find more detailed info on this card.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Thanks for the recommendation, unfortunately, I am not based in EU countries.
It was just an example to show that it depends on your location.

Given that you haven't specified a location, I will assume you are in the US.

I will also assume that you only strictly speaking need a single port NIC.
So, my budget is a bit tight. Actually my application is for Windows usage,
I can simply buy a cheap Tp-Link Realtek chip-based NIC will suffice.
However, I am thinking of long term investment here, so I am thinking of buying a Intel based NIC,
Just in case, I may use it later for home lab firewall.
Fujitsu d3045 uses PCI-E x4 slot which won't be useful, since my motherboard only has 2 slots of PCI-E x1.
If the slots you have are open ended (meaning you can physically install bigger cards), 4x shouldn't be a problem.
I am thinking of buying this Intel NIC: 728562-001-HIGH P HP / INTEL PRO 10 / 1000 PCI-E X1 NETWORK INTERFACE CONTROLLER NIC - I210-T1 ( 1 ) ONE RJ45 CONNECTOR ( RJ-45 )
Its part number is = 728562-001-HIGH P (HP NIC)
What is your take on this card?
Does it support WOL & VLAN tagging? I can't find more detailed info on this card.
According to the this listing (that I do not recommend you buy from), their card is comparable with the 728562-001 and Intel's I210-t1, as such I think it is likely that this card uses an Intel i210AT controller, which is much newer than 82574L and should work with almost everything.

Here is a seller on eBay that sells the card for much less:

It should support VLAN tagging (I think almost all do), but I have no idea about WOL.

At the end of the day, the card you have found should work, I think you could probably find a better card for the same amount of money, but the real problem is finding a card that is not fake (meaning it is a knock-off card sold as if it was something else).
If you want to find out more about this, you should go take a look at this thread:

If you just want a quick and inexpensive solution that is likely to work for you but also not guaranteed to be fake, I would suggest buying from the eBay listing I linked to (not the first one, that looks to definitely be a "fake" card).

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
@RTM
Hi, thanks for your reply again.
I still don't understand. Sorry, I may be a dumb noob.
Why is it this: eBay Seller-compeve_corp
may be selling "fake" cards compared to this: eBay seller-andersontech_solutions
because the latter has great positive feedback, that is, 100% (zero negative feedback)?
I skimmed their listing, and honestly made an error, they aren't even selling a card, but just a low profile bracket.
I was referring to this paragraph:
LP Low profile bracket for Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1

Low Profile Bracket compatible with Intel LAN/Network adapters:

I210-T1
Dell FHNX8
HP E0x95AA
HP 728562-001
HP 697356-001
I was reading it as them selling a different card, that was comparable to these different cards.
But as a I wrote before, I misread, my bad.

At the end of the day, it shouldn't change anything, obviously you don't want to buy only a bracket ;)