Windows Storage Spaces - upgrade question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BestGear

Aug 25, 2014
Hi Guys

I need some advice before I commit to some changes within an existing (now Windows 10) storage space.

I have a parity space of eight 4TB drives with one volume created on the whole available space.

My plan is to cycle out each 4TB for an 8TB drive, and when complete then access the additional 8*4TB space that will be there unused.

Am I right in my research that I wont be able to add the "new" space to the exiting storage space drive (once all new 8TB drives are in there) - but I will need to create a new storage space drive using that 8*4TB space?

Are there any other considerations I need to worry about?

Thanks in advance - dont want to embark on this swap out process if its not going to fly!

Thanks

David

necr

Dec 27, 2017
Hi!

What’s your sector size? To go over 16Tb (4k default ReFS) I had to build a new 64K space first with new HDDs, then move all data to the new volume. On Win10 max size of Storage Space is limited to 63Tb.

BestGear

Aug 25, 2014
Hi Necr... thanks for the reply.

This box used to run 2012R2 but I moved over to Win10 for app reasons - and the storage spaces moved over as is... then were "upgraded" by Win10.

I will check the sector size - it was not changed from 2012R2 default - and the volume is already over 16TB (8*4TB) - so assume I am ok there?

The volume is REFS - as it was created by 2012R2 at the time.

Interesting point though re the 63TB limit - I was unaware of that - so need to read up - my ultimate plan is to swap out all eight 4TB drives with eight 8TB drives. I guess with this I will be subject to the 63TB limit.

Thanks

David

BestGear

Aug 25, 2014
Hi

Checked the volume and it has 4K sector size which as you said was default ReFS.

Given the exiting volume is GPT, from what I have read, I wont have any issues in terms of ultimate size when I hit 8*8TB drives (in one volume).

Also - from what I have read, the 63TB limit will be ok - as I will (ultimately) have 64TB raw, so there or therabouts - and assume (correct me f I am wrong) is that the "extra" space (diff of 64TB raw and 63TB limit) will be ignored?

My only remaining question then is when I add all eight new drives - I need to confirm that the existing storage space can be expanded into the new (8*4TB) space that has been created by adding the drives OR - will the extra space provided by the 8TB drives be used as soon as I add them to the space?

I want to end up with one 63TB volume and not two (the existing volume plus a new one with the balance of the new space).

I hope that is clear?!?!

David

Last edited:

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
you will need to extend you existing storage space volume after all the drives are in. and you will need to do it once at the storage spaces level and again at the volume level.

Chris