Windows Restart Challenges - Power Cycle required - BIOS?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
This one has been bugging me for a while. When I do a Windows 10 restart (Yes I know what the first problem is) it powers down rather than restarts. Supermicro X9DRG. I have played around with the BIOS off and on for the last several months... Setting Optimal... Tweaking, Poking... Nothing. When I try to do a reboot I have to Power Cycle to bring the beast back up again.

Is there something obvious I should be looking for on these board? jumpers? magic bios setting? click heels together, spin around three times and say there's no place like home?

Preparing to abandon Windows for ProxMox or ESXI but still a little nervous about usb/pci passthrough to virtualized windows desktops.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Since windows 8 windows doesn't do a real restart, but instead goes into a hibernation mode. The result is that different components don't work (eg can't connect to wifi even with the proper settings) or that the computer doesn't boot and shows a black screen all the time.

What happens when you restart your computer from the command line (shutdown - r -t 0)?

Reactions: RobertFontaine

wiretap

Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
What power supply are you running? I've seen weird issues like this on dual socket boards when the power supply doesn't feed at least 0.5A on the -12VDC line.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I'm on an X9DRG in this case and resetting the bios was tried. I'm doing a clean install of the os and moving around drives tonight so maybe in 3 or 4 hours I might resolve this one. I suspect I won't. I have kicked most of the tires already. Will check the manual and shine a flashlight on the motherboard this weekend to check jumpers.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Maybe BIOS/ firmware is wonky in some way or it really is a windows issue. Tried spinning up a Live Linux disc and seeing if you can replicate the behaviour there?

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
Well that was easy to diagnose. Clean reinstall of the base OS (win blows 10 anniversary) is happily rebooting itself as it installs the million patches.

I fully expect reboot to fail by the time it completes but at least I know who to blame. (Me)... I should really break down and let servers be servers rather than server/workstation with vm's on VMware workstation but I don't have my second beast bought and assembled yet. It would be nice to have the lab set up so that I don't have to tear it apart every week because of a new piece of hardware or OS/Driver bug to hunt down. So many cables, much mess