Windows drive as removable ???

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Sounds like a profanely stupid idea to me. How can I tell Windows server 2012 R2 that my boot drive is not a removable drive?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
gwmi win32_bootconfiguration | fl *

bcdedit /v

WMI query "Select * From Win32_DiskPartition Where BootPartition = true"

are you trying to setup windows and it is not allowing you to setup on a particular device because it is removable?

Chris

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
gwmi win32_bootconfiguration | fl *

bcdedit /v

WMI query "Select * From Win32_DiskPartition Where BootPartition = true"

are you trying to setup windows and it is not allowing you to setup on a particular device because it is removable?

Chris
Windows is installed and running. I just noticed the remove HW icon in the notification and wondered what was removable. Yep, it was drive C.

keybored

May 28, 2016
I discovered this issue last year and it exists in both of my Supermicro-based workstations. Both are running Win10Pro. My Lenovo TS140, which is also running Win10Pro, does not have this problem.
The consensus seems to be that this is normal for chipsets that support hotswapping. I left this as is since it stopped bothering me eventually. Other folks had success with installing chipset specific drivers instead of using Microsoft's default ones and there are those who managed to disable this in the registry by marking certain SATA ports as "internal"; e.g.,
Win8: How can I remove the option to eject internal SATA drives from the Windows 8 tray icon?
Win7: How can I remove the option to eject SATA drives from the Windows 7 tray icon?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Prolly your using the M$ version of the AHCI drivers? Try installing the controller's manufacturers version and see if that helps :)

Reactions: Fritz