windows 2003

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gwb21471

Nov 29, 2021
I got the restore cd's for my dell server 2050. I restored it and it got windows server 2003 on it. How do i set it up the server to use a home server? I did the first server setup windows it just added server service stuff to it and had me name my server. I just want to use it to store files on it and be able to access my music from it too. I don't think i can have it be a media server too. Well thanks for the help.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I assume you meant Dell PowerEdge 2950, not 2050. At this point, the CPU running this machine is about the same speed as raspberry pi.
Windows 2003, since long dropped from any support, is very insecure, and I'd highly recommend installing Linux Server (not Desktop/GUI) OS on it.
Another problem is that it likely doesn't have enough storage and may not support modern 3.5 drives.
If this is the only hardware you can use - treat it as a learning platform, not something you should run 24/7, and your electric bills will thank you.

Reactions: blunden

gwb21471

Nov 29, 2021
I assume you meant Dell PowerEdge 2950, not 2050. At this point, the CPU running this machine is about the same speed as raspberry pi.
Windows 2003, since long dropped from any support, is very insecure, and I'd highly recommend installing Linux Server (not Desktop/GUI) OS on it.
Another problem is that it likely doesn't have enough storage and may not support modern 3.5 drives.
If this is the only hardware you can use - treat it as a learning platform, not something you should run 24/7, and your electric bills will thank you.
Yes it is a poweredge 2950. I upgraded it to 3ghz cpus and it has 24gb of memory. I have 4tb of storage in it. My electric bill not high at all since is has only one power supply in it. The other one was taken out and a plug was put in it. Thanks for your in put.

gwb21471

Nov 29, 2021
3ghz doesn't mean much. PassMark - Intel Xeon 5160 @ 3.00GHz - Price performance comparison
24gb ram is decent, probably enough to run a few apps. If the server needs 200W (under load), it will still draw one PSU or two from your home.
It could serve your media files, too, as long as you don't need to re-encode them.
I installed file server and media server. But i can't find the server on my network. I figure it out. I been reading the help topics on the server windows for problems. Thank you for the help and info.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Just FYI: There is unfixable highest CVE score (10 out of 10) security vulnerability for the Windows 2003 server with Public exploit already exists:

"A remote code execution vulnerability exists in Remote Desktop Services formerly known as Terminal Services when an unauthenticated attacker connects to the target system using RDP and sends specially crafted requests, aka 'Remote Desktop Services Remote Code Execution Vulnerability."
Source:

My suggestion you should at least run it on an isolated internal network without any internet access.

gwb21471

Nov 29, 2021
it is on a isolated network. I had it online just to do windows update. I uninstalled remote desktop service and terminal service. when i did the first server setup from mange server it installed dhcp,dns,domain controller and application server and i installed file server and media server. I need to figure out how to install a ftp server. The only problem i having is nothing in my network can find my server. I want to upgrade to server 2012 r2. Thats the last version that will run on this server. But i not going to pay $400 or $500 dollars for a key for it. When i Frist bought this server it had windows 2012 r2 on it but the hard drive went bad. Well thank you.