Windows 10 - who is upgrading day 1?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Indrek

May 19, 2015
Estonia
I have a Core2 E8400 with W7P64. If I upgrade to 10, will I be able to run it as Hyper-V host?
Client Hyper-V in Windows 10 still requires SLAT, which the E8400 doesn't support. Nehalem was the first generation of Intel CPUs to support it (Intel calls it EPT).

For more information, see:

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Thanks for the info guys, I was hoping to upgrade to 10 in order to run a webserver in a VM. For 7Pro folks on better hardware, the win10 upgrade is value in that regard.

That leaves me with either dual-boot or looking at other Virtualization options.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
One more note about the Win10 upgrade: no RSAT (Server Manager) available for Win10 RTM yet. Probably a couple more weeks before its released. Could be a big deal if you use RSAT (Server Manager) to manage Server2012R2 instances - including Hyper-V Server. I didn't notice it until today...guess I should have been paying attention before I upgraded all my laptops/workstations last weekend.

I can still RDP into one of the Server instances with a desktop and run it from there - but if you had all Server-Core or Hyper-V Server instances your SOL.