Win10 or mouse ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
So my old MS IntelliMouse 3.0 stopped working in win10 randomly, replaced with a new mouse and just sat down after using it fine all last week to only being able to click and use it in firefox. Can't drag the FF window, can't click "in" any other windows.. ALT-TAB works to load Chrome, Pidgin, etcc... and I can type just fine, but I can't "click" in any of those at all to use them. (Window key works too)

I thought my old mouse went bad and just died but now I think it's a win10 issue.

Anyone have any idea what to look into about this issue?

I'm not using any specific mouse drivers, and never had loaded any for win7 since I've been using it or the mouse for many many many years.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
problems with the usb controller maybe? never had this problem on win10.
If that was the case why did the mouse work 100% fine "within" FireFox only ?

I couldn't drag the FireFox window, or use the mouse in any other software that was open, or click the taskbar to do anything, only firefox worked.

FYI - I clicked a lot of times on the taskbar over and over and it just randomly started working properly again outside firefox too. To me that seems like a win10/explorer issue.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
Not sure. This sounds like something out of ripleys. (not saying that I don't believe you) Was this an upgrade install?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
100% fresh install, recently too. I think it was December.

I've been using the MS mouse a long time with 0 issues, and thought it must have been dieing as to why it was acting weird sometimes... which btw, only started acting weird after Win10 'crashed' and I Rebooted it. I got the mouse to start working again by rebooting 3 or 4x and then it worked... any other mouse I plugged in worked fine. The MS mouse that didn't work would let me click but no cursor showed up on the screen... very odd mouse behavior as of lately.

I'm trying to go to Linux desktop but that's taking a bit more time than expected... is NVME working on Win7 'smoothly' ?? If so I'd gladly just go back to that!!

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
I'm pretty sure something is hosed with your win10 install. I'd try clean installing it again.