Win10 give only 2gb speed on a 25g nic -setting required or so ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Docop

Jul 19, 2016
Hi
So while i did read the article about the e810 100g nic into windows11.. I got quite issues on what config or proper setting to be set for an intel xxv710 25g card ? From a network running at 25, i just plug over on the 'remote pc' having win10 21h1 and i can only get about 8.5g on iperf3. no retr error.
But : if i just boot xubuntu live , on this same pc, i get a full 25g ! Or booting proxmox on usb, it do still give me a full 25g.

I even update the nvm firmware, in Win adapter config the speed set as a full duplex 25g , flow control: do nothing if on or off. Mtu to 9025 as on the option. static ip and all network are on mtu9000. And did an install from the full version of the intel driver 7.8 last one.

With a share folder on win10 , cifs.. smb do give me anemic transfer. So any easy check for that in order to get proper speed ?
Thanks

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I don't Like to use iperf in Windows: binaries are by third Parties, usually an old codebase was used, some binaries use a Buggy cygwin.dll

With the Linux Tests you know the nics and cables/transceivers+fibers are okay.

Smb/cifs Performance is Not great with explorer.exe. try robocopy or similar Tools that have different Options for multithreading, Cache using etc.

Usually Windows doesn't need Tuning (at least Not in my experience with mellanox cx2, cx3 and cx-4 for speeds Up to 40gbe)

And does the storage system Provider enough Performance for 25gbe? Sequential large io? Random small io (this would require an insane storage system)?
Did you Test IT locally with a Benchmark Tool?

Reactions: axavio

Docop

Jul 19, 2016
well, yeah i do understand the single core stuff .., but just a simple smb copy on a system of 2yrs old i7 giving a 140mb/s .. it's near to be the same as the gigi ethernet port of 103mb/s. over ssh bit better, but way under what it should. So that is why i'm quite bluff.. or we need to move all on windows vm only everywhere..

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Classic iperf is multi-threaded, iperf3 is not. Neither of them is particularly great on windows.

Try ntttcp - it's a little trickier to use, but is much better on Windows. It has a Linux version too, but you have to disable syncing.