Win Server 2012 R2 drive spanning major malfunction

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I've had this running as a media server for months without issues. It contains 4 5tb hard drives and uses Windows drive spanning. Today, during a copy operation, one of the drives vanished. gone completely. Not visible in either Windows or HD Sentinel. I removed the drive and put it in a usb drive bay connected to another computer and it showed as "invalid" in Disk Management. I deleted the partition then recreated it and after a long format the drive is healthy and HD Sentinel reports it as perfect with no errors.

At this point I'm sorry I trusted Windows drive spanning with my data. I didn't lose anything as it's all on another server also but still, it's a major inconvenience. If it was a legitimate problem with the HD, wouldn't something show in S.M.A.R.T. ? also HD sentinel in notorious for showing problems that other diag programs don't. This is why I think it's strictly a Windows brain fart. I'll do more testing tomorrow. I'll switch to Drivepool when I load the media back on it.

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
i like running stablebit after hd sentinel. can't be too paranoid with data.

*edit the scanner i meant.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Well hell. Had another drive, a different one, drop out in the middle of a copy operation. I suspect a bad breakout cable and just replaced it and started all over again. This is a bit bizarre as I had another breakout cable in another box go bad a few days ago. Both cables were the Supermicro turquoise foil cables. I replaced both with flat breakout cables. I don't deserve this. :(

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yea, it's a SuperChassis 721TQ-250B which contains a 4 bay drive cage.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yep. There's only one drive cage. I'm transferring a little over 14TB of data to the pool. So far so good.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
drive spanning as in dynamic disks?

Chris
Yep. But now I'm using Drivepool. This happened suddenly after about a year of troublefree operation. So far I've copied about 3TB. Never got that far on the last 2 attempts. Still looks like the breakout cable to me but I have been known to be wrong.:confused:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Yea, it's a SuperChassis 721TQ-250B which contains a 4 bay drive cage.
What you you have decribed so far sounds like a dying backplane to me (had this last year with a cheap chieftec backplane)
I would suggest to take a look at the backplane (front and back side) and check if you could see small burn marks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It made it through the night and it's still going so it still looks like it was the breakout cable. The case is only about a year old so I doubt it's the backplane. I've never seen a bad Supermicro backplane.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
The saga continues. During the night a HD dropped out again. This morning I replaced the HBA. If it does it again, all that's left is the backplane.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I believe I can finally put this issue to rest. At the end of the day it appears that the 250w PSU in the Supermicro CSE-721TQ-250B case just wasn't up to the task of powering 4 5TB HD's and a Dell H310 HBA. I ended up putting both HD's in question in another box and proceeded to fill them both twice without incident. Both drives that kept dropping out were Seagates, the other 2 were a Toshiba and a WD. I have no idea why only the Seagates were dropping out, maybe they're older and draw more power, who knows. Anyways, I'll look for a beefier PSU for this case.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Wow ! Did not expect that the 4 drives would be ~50 watts or less, maybe the psu is a bit flakey rather than the 250w model being the issue.
Either way it's satisfying to have found and answer I am sure even if it's not really the answer you wanted.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It very well could be that the PSU is flakey, It worked just fine for a little over a year and then this problem cropped up. I hate problems like this. I was able to copy several TB before a drive would drop out.