Win Server 2012 R2 drive spanning major malfunction

Discussion in 'Windows Server, Hyper-V Virtualization' started by Fritz, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

I've had this running as a media server for months without issues. It contains 4 5tb hard drives and uses Windows drive spanning. Today, during a copy operation, one of the drives vanished. gone completely. Not visible in either Windows or HD Sentinel. I removed the drive and put it in a usb drive bay connected to another computer and it showed as "invalid" in Disk Management. I deleted the partition then recreated it and after a long format the drive is healthy and HD Sentinel reports it as perfect with no errors.

At this point I'm sorry I trusted Windows drive spanning with my data. I didn't lose anything as it's all on another server also but still, it's a major inconvenience. If it was a legitimate problem with the HD, wouldn't something show in S.M.A.R.T. ? also HD sentinel in notorious for showing problems that other diag programs don't. This is why I think it's strictly a Windows brain fart. I'll do more testing tomorrow. I'll switch to Drivepool when I load the media back on it.

2. realtomatoes

realtomatoes Active Member

i like running stablebit after hd sentinel. can't be too paranoid with data.

*edit the scanner i meant.

3. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Well hell. Had another drive, a different one, drop out in the middle of a copy operation. I suspect a bad breakout cable and just replaced it and started all over again. This is a bit bizarre as I had another breakout cable in another box go bad a few days ago. Both cables were the Supermicro turquoise foil cables. I replaced both with flat breakout cables. I don't deserve this. :(

4. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

Are you using a drive cage?

5. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Yea, it's a SuperChassis 721TQ-250B which contains a 4 bay drive cage.

6. realtomatoes

realtomatoes Active Member

were the two drives on the same drive cage?

7. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Yep. There's only one drive cage. I'm transferring a little over 14TB of data to the pool. So far so good.

8. cesmith9999

cesmith9999 Well-Known Member

drive spanning as in dynamic disks?

Chris

9. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Yep. But now I'm using Drivepool. This happened suddenly after about a year of troublefree operation. So far I've copied about 3TB. Never got that far on the last 2 attempts. Still looks like the breakout cable to me but I have been known to be wrong.:confused:

10. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

What you you have decribed so far sounds like a dying backplane to me (had this last year with a cheap chieftec backplane)
    I would suggest to take a look at the backplane (front and back side) and check if you could see small burn marks.

11. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

It made it through the night and it's still going so it still looks like it was the breakout cable. The case is only about a year old so I doubt it's the backplane. I've never seen a bad Supermicro backplane.

12. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

The saga continues. During the night a HD dropped out again. This morning I replaced the HBA. If it does it again, all that's left is the backplane.

13. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

I believe I can finally put this issue to rest. At the end of the day it appears that the 250w PSU in the Supermicro CSE-721TQ-250B case just wasn't up to the task of powering 4 5TB HD's and a Dell H310 HBA. I ended up putting both HD's in question in another box and proceeded to fill them both twice without incident. Both drives that kept dropping out were Seagates, the other 2 were a Toshiba and a WD. I have no idea why only the Seagates were dropping out, maybe they're older and draw more power, who knows. Anyways, I'll look for a beefier PSU for this case.

14. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Wow ! Did not expect that the 4 drives would be ~50 watts or less, maybe the psu is a bit flakey rather than the 250w model being the issue.
    Either way it's satisfying to have found and answer I am sure even if it's not really the answer you wanted.

15. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

It very well could be that the PSU is flakey, It worked just fine for a little over a year and then this problem cropped up. I hate problems like this. I was able to copy several TB before a drive would drop out.