Win 8 on TechNet/ MSDN

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
What, Win8 has gone RTM? I'd let my tech net lapse but guess I gotta hop back on for Server 12. Zero desire to run Win8 any time soon or at least until a hack comes available to rip metro out completely.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Yep, ran consumer preview a few weeks and then a few earlier beta's late last year -- couldn't deal with the dumbed down Apple-ified portal they're forcing down everyone's throats -- there is literally nothing Metro helps you do faster, its simply a barrier and a fence to herd everyone into eventually having to buy all Windows software through MS so they get a cut, and they're kicking themselves for not doing it a decade ago. The writing is on the wall: DRM iron curtain & no more "side loading" (without hacks) beginning in Win9 and I ran the theory past a friend with an MS employee# and he said that's probably about right.

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Ran Previews too for a while. but as you said Metro sucks big time.

Not been able to install RTM, yet, refuses to install not sure if it's LSI controller related.
Can see the drives including 10TB GPT RAID array and RAID0 array other HDDs but refuses to install.
Now that I'm back from Aussie can take a closer look

I think Win8 might be last in the long line of Windozes, before it's show the door :D

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I ran the beta when it first came out on a VM and didnt like it. I have played with the RTM for a few days here and dont like the interface. I also cant stand Lion, but at least Apple didnt get ride of the Dock. Now, I wonder if there is a Mate for Windows 8....

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
The reality is we'll all be running it eventually. As enthusiasts, there will be no way to avoid it due to not only the base features and enhancements like SMB 3.0 and overall performance increases over Win7, but you know how it goes: the major third parties will be incentivized by MS to develop drivers & software for Win8 first, Win7 as an afterthought.

And in fairness its easy to push Metro out of the way and get to the desktop, though Metro's kind of always lingering there like a drunk uncle on the couch at thanksgiving and ready to make itself known at inopportune times. Fortunately, third party tools will help to reduce or remove Metro's interference and influence on the classic desktop experience.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So my impressions thus far basically that metro, sorry the new Windows 8 interface, is cool, but certainly is going to take a lot of getting used to. I think it would be pretty neat on a tablet though.

I also look at odditory's comments and would agree in a lot of ways. DRM isn't really bad in principle (execution is another story.) To me the bigger issue is that you have an entire ecosystem setup to run whatever specialized program in Windows. Metro changes the UI to an extent that it is going to force a lot of organizations to change legacy applications. Good because that provides the opportunity to do cleanup. Bad because that is a tenant of Windows, that stuff works from generation to generation. For all that was written negatively about Vista 64, 32-bit application emulation worked really well. If the new UI does not help make organizations more productive in re-written apps, then there is a lot of effort with not a lot of benefit. With all of that said emulating the Apple model may not be the best considering that although Apple rules the consumer, enterprise is a different story.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Microsoft's 5 and 10 year plans are about survival, can't fault them but doesn't mean we have to like the pain and inefficiencies created in Windows metamorphosizing. And I agree with Patrick, for enterprise these shifts in Microsoft's strategy can and will play out differently than the consumer segment, MS is seriously teetering on alienating one of if not their biggest cash cows and ensuring that the tons of businesses stuck on XP become the next decade's businesses stuck on Win7.

I think there's far less interconnectedness between computing platforms than it might seem to the marketing majors sitting in conference rooms in Redmond that have convinced themselves a "unified interface" will achieve synergistic nirvana and a magnetic charisma, that a UI optimized for tablets & mobile forced onto the PC desktop will compel adoption of all Metro skinned products across the board. I don't think it will play out like that, I dont think people will care, these individual products will have to stand or fall on their own individual merits and will not be able to simply skate on the creds of their forefathers.

The future of Windows is in becoming one big steam client where the O/S becomes cheaper and eventually free, with MS focused on making all their money through app/program sales transacted through the Windows Store. Windows 8's relatively low $40 upgrade pricing is an obvious sign of that shift and I wouldn't be surprised if in a year from now an upgrade from ANY version of Windows to Win8 is free, since their shift in strategy means a total dependency on installed base.

Last edited: