Wifi router with support for usb modem or phone tethering?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Anyone knows if a wifi router that can do this beside asus mid to high end routers that have the the 3g/4g usb modem/android phone tether support? I am testing out the asus rt-ac68p that does have this feature and i can tell you it's awesome. Better than just using hotspot function on the phone since the wifi router allows for much better range and speed and less stress on the phone as well as the ability to use LAN. This router obviously also have the regular rj45 for wan internet but the ability to use phone tethering is very nice whenever you have the occasional internet down.

I saw some sort of usb modem WAN setting for dd-wrt firmware for linksys wrt3200acm but it doesn't seem to support android phone tether easily

Also I am wondering if there's any tri-band router out there that might support tethering with converting one of the wifi band into receiving and wirelessly connect to a phone hotspot and then using the other two bands for just regular wifi routing...

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I dunno if they're a thing in rightpondia but we've been doing this with Draytek 2860's for years; their earlier models came with support for various 3G/4G modems, their current ones now have an optional integrated 4G modem and SIM. SME/SOHO-class routers so they're not cheap or flashy but are very reliable and with lots of useful features.

ADSL/VDSL/Fibre (FTTC) Routers

pfSense of course also works with some 3G/4G modems (although I've never tried it myself) and I've no idea with regards to tethering of an actual phone (always just used a data cable when I had to do this in the past, dunno how different android is).

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
well, this is probably a significantly cheaper thing than what you referring to with draytek. There are 4G modems with wifi and router function out there. But of course you need to have a 4G data plan and pretty much all those plans are not unlimited. They also cost a fair amount for both the 4G modem router and the data plan.

But this feature of being able to tether via usb cable to your android phone like in the asus rt-ac68p (which i bought on ebay for $60 shipping included) allows you to use your rooted android phone with with cheaper data plan. a lot of us can root our android phone so we can tether the phone without having a tether plan. my cell plan is grandfathered in from the unlimited day. i haven't like really abused it but there are time when i do use up to about 15GB/month

I have the linksys wrt3200acm router which is very good but i also got the asus rt-ac68p just because it allows cellphone usb tethering.... it's very handy.... there is a dd-wrt firmware also for the asus rt-ac68p but i will have to read up on it if the dd-wrt firmware still also support usb 4g phone tethering.