Wifi Mesh / 6E Advice please

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Hi

I want to move some of my computing crap to another location in the house; I want to it to join my existing network. That location has no wired ethernet capability. I want at least a throughput equal to a wired 1Gbps link, anything greater is a bonus.

I believe I have 3 options:

1. Pay someone to put an physical wired ethernet port with a run back to an existing location. This is the safest option I think but is prob the most inflexible e.g. the wife may demand the space back!
  2. Buy a couple of Wifi 6E devices and make one the uplink of the other with the former attached to a local switch servicing the new location, the latter wired into the main network. There would be about 3-4 metres between each device with the signal possibly going through the wall.
  3. Doing the same as nos 2 but with a 6E mesh. The TP-Link Deco XE75 AXE5400 price is very attractive as it stands.

Questions
  1. Are there any other decent options available? Powerline devices dont cut it from the testing I have done so far.
  2. On the mesh side, if I use the 6Ghz as the backhaul, will this work i.e. no uplink config required?
  3. Given the distance between the Wifi devices in options 2 and 3, any opinion on whether I'd meet my desired bandwidth throughput would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Last edited:

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
Other(possible) option, but have not used:
Do you have coax between locations? I've not had good luck with mesh and high speed. MoCa is supposed to support up to 2.5gbps now.

Reactions: ecosse

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Option 1: You can potentially do this yourself. You can also essentially futureproof it by also putting in some fiber at the same time, as well as doing it in such a way that you'd be able to pull more cables through in the future.

As for Wi-Fi based solutions: the trick is to avoid situations where a device is using the same frequency for both its backhaul and client-facing network. You want either something with multiple transceivers for whatever band you'll be using, or specifically use a wireless bridge. Using the same frequency for both can cut your bandwidth in half or worse.

Reactions: ecosse

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Other(possible) option, but have not used:
Do you have coax between locations? I've not had good luck with mesh and high speed. MoCa is supposed to support up to 2.5gbps now.
Now that is a magnificent idea. I have coax in a number of rooms. As per my luck, I dont think its in that room but will check more today!

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Option 1: You can potentially do this yourself. You can also essentially futureproof it by also putting in some fiber at the same time, as well as doing it in such a way that you'd be able to pull more cables through in the future.

As for Wi-Fi based solutions: the trick is to avoid situations where a device is using the same frequency for both its backhaul and client-facing network. You want either something with multiple transceivers for whatever band you'll be using, or specifically use a wireless bridge. Using the same frequency for both can cut your bandwidth in half or worse.
Thanks for your reply. My hands on skills are terrible so if I go down the hard wired route I'll get the professionals in!

On the mesh point I'd deploy these just for the backhaul service i.e. I'd make sure no clients are connecting to either device.