Why would somebody buy a defective CPU ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
To make artwork ?
I could find some to give for free ! That's almost silly but I guess people only sell if somebody buys

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
To be fair... all SR0H8's are defective. now $55... idfk, people fail at reading comprehension very often.

Reactions: whitey

Feb 8, 2016
Guessing HW warranties still exist like they were years ago.

I'd get service calls for bad HW, usually HDDs and it was years ago. Compaq would warranty, it seemed, anything that worked in a new warrantied server. Customer would take the flaky/dead drive from old chassis, then place it in the new warrantied server and they could get a replacement drive by filing a claim with CPQ.

I called Compaq, because it seemed odd they'd warranty Compaq parts not sold with the new server. But the CSR explained that it was a legitimate warranty claim since the item was installed in warrantied server. I had one contact who did not want to buy $$ extended service contracts on out of warranty servers and that is how they kept old servers running.

KILLorBE

Mar 25, 2016
Let me put it in a different way: Why wouldn't you try to sell your defective hardware for big bucks if it's not going to cost you anything?

When it comes to defective HDD's I can understand why people want to buy them, but they must be cheap as working PCB's most often can be found at a decent price (NOTE: quite a few things have to match, but at a good price it may be worth a shot to recover data.)
But there may be scams that require certain crap? Scam = Crap
Once I noticed that empty Dreambox boxes were selling for in excess of $60, and that wasn't like the "Xbox 360 box" those boxes seemed to be "Hot"...

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Lot's of people hope to buy low and that the seller either didn't test adequately or that there is something they can do to fix it for use/flipping. I've done this with motherboards before if there was obvious but repairable looking damage to the CPU pins. With a little patience you can get a good deal, or help fund your next server. Total gamble though.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Strange why people would buy it for regular price. I know people do buy these things for their scrap value.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
We buy defective hardware for a show/waiting room. It's impressive to see old, huge floppy disks (and drives) that store less data than a micro sd.
I think we have somewhere an old Cray system that's water cooled (and outperformed by most modern smartphones).

Diavuno

Lot's of people hope to buy low and that the seller either didn't test adequately or that there is something they can do to fix it for use/flipping. I've done this with motherboards before if there was obvious but repairable looking damage to the CPU pins. With a little patience you can get a good deal, or help fund your next server. Total gamble though.
I picked up so many top end board at my local frys with bent pins.... I was able to repair 1 in 3. At the cost of $5 per board it was worth it!

I've been known to buy old junk for a few bucks if it was something special during its time (9700 pro, 8800GTX, first GB HDD)

for a while I ran a bunch of ES Xeons too... typically you had to disable HT or C states.