Why should I pay more for a server rack ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

java

Jan 28, 2013
Europe
I'm thinking to buy a server rack. Why should I pay $900 for an APC server rack, wouldn't be enough to a buy a chinese no-name rack for $300 ? I'm trying to figure out what features I'll get if I'll pay more money. Is this just the brand (which is not a useful "feature" for me :) ) ?

Pete-L

Mar 15, 2013
For us its compatibility with other parts such as Zero-U PDUs/Cable Management I've also found the APC racks to be really well built. Aside from the cosmetic value.

Be warned though that the side panels do come off but the frame is welded... something I learnt the hard way (even though I have a recorded call speaking with an APC support engineer saying different). We ended up having to take a wall down to get our 48U 1200mm racks in because the didn't dismantle!!

Bunker

Mar 10, 2013
The dell 4210's are well built and cheaper than apc for a used solution.. I use legrand/ortronics for everything I do now.. I use mostly rackable systems so I get away with using two posters... but they make this awesome 16" deep 4 poster called the mighty-mo 10. Its super light aircraft grade aluminum often you can score one on the electronics bay for around 300. There is a listing for the whole cabinet deal.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ortronics-M...Rackmount_Cabinets_Frames&hash=item3f23d8d23b

Last edited:

java

Jan 28, 2013
Europe
Thanks for the replies guys. Cable management and material type are two important points worthy to pay for. I'm located in Europe, it's very hard to buy a server rack from ebay, this will cost me a lot (shipping!). Probably I'll find some used APC or Dell server rack here in my area.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
dell racks are too short for my startech pony rack. HP racks are long enough. weird thing. I hate dell rack mounts! only way to make it work is get different rails or rail extenders which are stupid expensive.

TheBay

Feb 25, 2013
UK
Can you get uSystems cabinets?, I use them and find them very good. They are also OEM for a lot of the big brands.
I use the 7210 mesh door server cabinet. Nice and deep.

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Thanks for the replies guys. Cable management and material type are two important points worthy to pay for. I'm located in Europe, it's very hard to buy a server rack from ebay, this will cost me a lot (shipping!). Probably I'll find some used APC or Dell server rack here in my area.
I understand this and it was a hard thing to overcome psychologically when i was looking. I ended up paying more for shipping than for the rack as I bought it second hand but... it was sitill much cheaper than any of the alternatives.

Flat pack racks should be cheaper for shipping and are pretty good by accounts I have read, just takes a bit more work setting them up but, then again, easier to move them around and relocate.

Seems to be a fair amount of choice on UK Ebay at the moment but just beware of depth. My C6100 just about fits in my 950mm deep cabinet with room at the rear for cabling etc.

RB