WHY SHOPPING AT RETAIL.ERA.CA IS RISKY

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
WHY SHOPPING AT RETAIL.ERA.CA IS RISKY

April, 2023
Based on experience learned from multiple successful (lucky) purchases and multiple purchases with issues.

WHO THEY ARE

retail.era.ca is the “Electronics Shop” of era.ca (see below).
They are also known as Electronics Recycling Association. retail.era.ca is located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
**In all fairness, I like the premise of era and what they do. The staff at era.ca have been helpful and professional. This write up is strictly about retail.era.ca, the “Electronics Shop”.

WHY AM I WRITING THIS?

I fell victim to feeling comfortable with my purchases based on my many many, many years of doing business on this planet. When retail.era’s operation is looked at from a whole, their operation appears shady and possibly intentionally deceptive, at least to me. However when looking at it piece meal it seems okay. This is NOT a “don’t shop here” write up. This is a “just in case you didn’t read the fine print” write up. You decide if interacting with them is worth it for you. No different than Craigslist, eBay etc.

I am obviously disappointed that what could have be such a great resource for us Home Lab tinkerer's is risky to deal with. I will still purchase from them, but won't be making big purchases. I'm not willing to risk having to go through the headaches of re-shipping, credits, and reordering. Of course though, small purchases equals more money to Fedex.

THE RISK

Lets get right to the heart of it. Below is their return policy. Pay close attention to the underlined items.
Return Policy

To submit a return please visit your orders page and click return
or
Click Here
You may return items within 30 days of delivery for a store credit, exchange, or ECN if the item is defective(1). Return requests for defects that are clearly stated in our listing will be denied.
We do not accept returns or exchanges on "AS-IS" Or "For Parts" or items that offers where accepted on(2).
We will process a return after receiving the returned item in the same condition as it was when sent. If the item is returned not in the same condition as when it was sent, then it wont qualify for return(3). Customer will have to pay for return shipping or we will recycle the item without refund. If the item is found to be working we will retain 10% of the item cost for a processing fee before issuing you a gift card. Please allow up to 5 business days after delivery for us to process the return.
If you need to return an item, please login to your account and click on the returns in your order section(4).

Translation

(1) Once you part with your money, you are not entitled to get it back regardless. Even if an item arrives at your door defective, you are still only entitled to receive a credit or exchange.

(2) The majority of their items are initially listed marked up compared to going market rates for that particular item. Other than waiting for an item to go stale and get put on sale, submitting an offer is the only way to purchase an item at a fair value. They themselves promote “MAKE AN OFFER”, of course this is great for them as that relieves them from accepting a return. Some items are listed “AS-IS” and “For Parts” but most are not, this of course makes you feel that your purchase is safe, which it isn’t. This is approaching the deceptive practice territory in my opinion, especially when you take all the little things into account.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 211416.png

(3) If you are lucky enough to have your return accepted, you will need to get it back to them. If anyone out there has experience ordering from them, you will know that they build boxes out of multiple pieces of cardboard that are taped together and wrapped in plastic wrap. What this means to you is, if you purchased a 70lb server and removed it from the box, the box would most likely be destroyed. The boxes are so bad that I had a server bend in half in transit, there is no rigidity in a box that has been made of up many different pieces. Trying to find another suitable box and repackaging a server isn’t an easy task, especially if you have to build it to meet their scrutiny of it being in the same condition. The irony there is, they didn’t even know that it was defective before they sent it to you. Can you trust them to deem the condition “as it was sent” to you originally? Keep reading and decide for yourself. Getting a replacement isn't easy either as they're selling used recycled equipment. They don't always have multiples of what you're purchasing.

(4) This is another area of caution. To be able to return your item, you will need to go through their “Returns” procedure. This procedure is fairly standard asking for your order number, photos, description of issue etc. However... to actually complete the process you MUST accept a “Store Credit” option. So just in case you weren’t totally appraised of the fact you weren’t ever going to get a refund, this should be a quite clear.

So here we are, after stating all of the above, you make a purchase anyway. You may be thinking the company will do the right thing or make it right by the customer or how often do ten plus year old electronics fail (lol). You are most certainly at their mercy that’s for sure, but what if I told you that who you will be dealing with at the company will be unprofessional, rude, possibly dislike dealing with people in any shape or form and may even hate their job. Their delayed replies to your correspondence will be of the fewest words possible, in most cases no more than a sentence. Their reply will be unsigned so you won’t even know whom you are dealing with. Unless you’re lucky and you really get their attention, you will most likely be playing email tag once a day taking a week to settle five minutes worth of correspondence.

After you have some issue related correspondence you will at least be able to laugh at the following:

Screenshot 2023-03-29 221159.png

RECOURSE

Little to none actually. You would think that selling a defective product and not providing you the option for a refund would be ludicrous, but that is the fact of it. There are multiple statutes that cover “bad” business practices in Canada, however, by the time they reach a level to where the government will act, they will be in the territory of actual criminal behavior where you could simply call the police. Of course you will need to do your own investigation and evidence gathering to get to that point. Short of going undercover as an employee, you won’t get the information you will need.

Service Alberta did state that if there are enough complaints then they may be able to step in.

The Alberta Sales of Goods Act(1) does have a much lower standard and states “there is an implied condition that the goods are of a merchantable quality.” However this act allows you to sue for damages, it does not fall under the enforcement of Service Alberta.
(1) https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/stat/rsa-2000-c-s-2/latest/rsa-2000-c-s-2.html

I can't imagine PayPal will help you either as it's all spelled out in their policies.

YOUR RISK LEVEL

This is all dependent on your own situation but let me lay out the two extremes.

Low Risk – You live in Calgary and can personally pickup and return your purchase. You also have patience and don’t let nonsense torque you up.

High Risk – You need to have the item shipped to your residence where you don’t have immediate access to shipping supplies etc. Your time has value as does your money. You have a low tolerance for nonsense and have high expectations of how a business should operate.

Your Skill Level – If you are experienced with electronics repair, soldering, BGA chip removal, IC programming, scoping etc, then you can lower your risk level a couple notches and just deal with whatever happens.

TL’DR

Once you give them your money, it’s gone. You have next to no recourse whatsoever, even on a defective item that was described as being working. They can deceptively misrepresent, hide, ignore, tell you to pound sand, essentially do anything they want with no recourse unless you want to sue. Their communication skills are horrid, so lower your expectations. If you’re purchasing something of low value then maybe it’s worth it. Purchasing a server for hundreds of dollars, I’d check your risk factor (see above).

MY SHOPPING EXPERIENCE

I have made 25+ orders within the last year totally in the multiple thousands in value. Out of those orders I’ve had the following issues:
  • Received an obviously damaged drive caddy.
  • Server bent (destroyed) in transit due to incompetent (or intentionally poor) packaging.
  • Received a switch with a rail mount lug broken off.
  • Received more than one drive faulted through different orders, even though they were all listed as okay.
  • Received an incorrect 15K drive in and among my order for 10K drives.
  • Received a laptop with a locked BIOS requiring the removal and reprogramming of a chip to bypass the security (Lenovo).
  • Received an order of only half the amount of listed RAM sticks.
  • Received a server with a DOA (non recoverable) OOB (iDrac) management circuit. That server had visible corrosion damage that should have been shown and noted, however that was the one picture missing in the listing.
  • Received a heavily used cable arm with missing components advertised as "NEW and FULLY SEALED"
  • Received a another server with a dead iDrac.
None of these issues were described or shown in the listings. Some of the above issues I just absorbed. All the others I was met with unprofessional correspondence, some requiring the assistance from their head-office.

PURCHASING TIPS

• Screenshot the listing and save all the images either before you purchase or immediately after. They will delete the listing page shortly after purchase.
  • Pay via PayPal or any other way that gives you the illusion of protection.
  • Contact their head office via the chat feature on era.ca when you run out of patience.
  • Why didn’t I say ask questions before purchasing? because you most likely won’t get a reply and if you do you, the five word response won’t make you feel any more comfortable.

CONCLUSION

It’s not every day that you have to actually dissect the fine print. However with this company you really need to know it. Normal customer service and consumer conventions do not apply here so go into the purchase thinking accordingly.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
What you've described is why most people will buy on ebay with paypal or forums with paypal for used and why it's hard to buy direct from places like this or ServerpartsDeals, then it's you vs theme with the only recourse being a "charge-back".

But even that you need to watch out for "return window" or parts being sold as "parts" with no warranty\return\exchange\NOTHING.

It sounds like with what you're buying and from them you should use a Credit Card through PayPal.
Then you can go to the company first, then paypal, then your CC if you need to push for a chargeback.

No fun all those issues :( I'd have stopped long ago if I had a list of issues that long from ONE seller.

Reactions: opensourcefan

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
I recently went through a bad streak at ebay as well. Yes, they have no issue refunding your money, but for this type of equipment it usually needs to be shipped back. Sellers aren't even using real photos of each product anymore. Usually, a stock image or something. I was waiting for weeks to get the items, then finding out they're blatantly misrepresented and needed to ship them back. Wait some more time for a refund to purchase all over again. Must have had that happen a few times in the same month. Ebay does nothing to ensure it's an honest listing, your time means nothing to them.

I don't know what has happened but ethics, honesty, professionalism seem to have gone out the window.

Angus

Mar 3, 2015
Sucks that you've had issues with them.

I've been buying stuff from them for over 10 years and have not had any issues... I've even had them ship stuff before I paid..

Only "Issue" I can remember is when they shipped me the same items 2x by accident.. can't remember for sure the outcome but I contacted them and I think they said just keep them..

Also I've always found the packing to be excellent even overkill at times...

So like always YMMV, but I would not hesitate to buy from them again..

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
@Angus
It's amazing that our experiences are so polarizing, it's like you're referring to someone else completely lol. Either way, their policies are what they are, and none of my issues were subjective, just were what they were. I would like to think the sheer quantity of my issues have eliminated my "luck" factor but maybe not.

Reactions: Angus

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
I've recently been using techmikeny; we were using few CA providers in past - and they all overcharged us by a lot, and we had to wait sometimes days for quotes... not to mention issues OP mentioned with them.

(techmikeny seem to be fine - at least 50 servers r630, r640, r720xd's - we did have few beat-up packages, that suffered internally too; but overall been not a problem - they sent replacements, and didn't remember we didn't return original box; the best kind of a mess.

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
Looks like a decent place. That'll have me driving across the border again to pickup stuff, but would rather shop there than eBay.

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS!!!

I should have learnt my lesson but they had a Google Server available I really needed to have.

I also ordered the following:

Screenshot 2023-05-01 173958.png

NEW FULLY SEALED ??? Not even close. Even the box in the image isn't fully sealed!! OMG

It's missing the rack install clips, the status indicator and the tie wraps. On top of that, the paint on it is actually worn down to the metal from a ton of use!!

The incompetence is astounding!

Oh and f FWIW, the Google Server also has a dead iDrac which also wasn't advertised.

I'm thinking of calling the Police and reporting them for Fraud at this point.

2023-05-01 17.46.13c.jpg 2023-05-01 17.46.08c.jpg

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You had problems and yet you continue to order from them? You could, you know, stop. Otherwise it's going to invalidate any point you're trying to make to the audience here because clearly it's not enough of an inconvenience for you to stop doing business with them.

Reactions: CyklonDX

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
You had problems and yet you continue to order from them? You could, you know, stop. Otherwise it's going to invalidate any point you're trying to make to the audience here because clearly it's not enough of an inconvenience for you to stop doing business with them.
That's why I prefaced my post with an explanation of why. Trying to find a Google Appliance isn't the easiest thing to do! And when it's been on your want list as well as a WTB post here I took the chance. I stated that, but you needed chime in rudely anyway.

I don't need to validate anything to you or anyone else. I gave the information on what I've experienced, you validate it yourself. And if me purchasing from them again convinces you otherwise then that's your problem for putting all your faith in me. People deserve to know what's happening. If you don't like it, you can stop visiting this post.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
That's why I prefaced my post with an explanation of why. Trying to find a Google Appliance isn't the easiest thing to do! And when it's been on your want list as well as a WTB post here I took the chance. I stated that, but you needed chime in rudely anyway.

I don't need to validate anything to you or anyone else. I gave the information on what I've experienced, you validate it yourself. And if me purchasing from them again convinces you otherwise then that's your problem for putting all your faith in me. People deserve to know what's happening. If you don't like it, you can stop visiting this post.
Let me play devils advocate.
You will still buy it from us whatever we'll do. Next time we'll ship picture of item - and accuse you for trying to steal from us. Lets see how he copes with that.

Comment:
This isn't google appliance. Those are dell parts - you can get them anywhere, easiest place is ebay for used parts | ebay sellers are more trustworthy since almost always paypal takes side of buyer.

If dog bites you, even once... you put it down, else he will bite you again, he won't learn the lesson permanently - and other dogs may see it too, if you do not put the first one down - they will all bite you at some point.

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
Don't be silly.

eBay re PayPal is return based protection. Regardless of how misrepresented it is, you'll need to return it.

This is the Google Appliance:

Screenshot_2023-05-01-20-07-45-68_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015

Google search appliances are readily available in eBay.

If your experiences do not stop you from transacting business with the entity that you continue to complain about, then what value are we to derive from your posts? It's not like they have a monopoly or captive audience. I think it could just be construed as whining if you continue to do something that you know has a high probability of an outcome that is unsatisfactory to you. Hardly a caveat emptor.

Reactions: CyklonDX

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
Google search appliances are readily available in eBay.

If your experiences do not stop you from transacting business with the entity that you continue to complain about, then what value are we to derive from your posts? It's not like they have a monopoly or captive audience. I think it could just be construed as whining if you continue to do something that you know has a high probability of an outcome that is unsatisfactory to you. Hardly a caveat emptor.
I did ONE business transaction with them afterwards to get something that is quite elusive in Canada! Why are you making this something bigger than it is? Why can't you just accept that I am whining because I'm upset. Who are you to tell me otherwise? I wanted to vent and solidify my first post, instead I get you.

"Continue to complain about"... Again you're making this bigger than it is.

Value of my posts....? What? I'm not giving any opinions, just facts, believe them or don't. What value have your posts provided in this thread.

Just stop, you had a chance to approach this in a more respectful, professional manner, instead you responded with arrogance towards a "New Member".

the1com

May 30, 2023
Make sure you only pay at the price of the junk if the item is marked as "NOT Tested, AS IS".
I learned the lession by purchasing a router has the description like "Powered on, show error lights, did not continue test. AS IS", paid $50 for that with the hope that there's something I was able to fix. But after I received item then I found it had the error light because all the internal parts had been vandalized. I continued to buy the hardware from them, but I have never trusted them, way too sneaky.
The people who run the business are hardware professionals, and they know what they are doing, if it is marked as "NOT tested" or "NOT working", don't take the chance, it is a junk.

opensourcefan

Aug 24, 2022
I continued to buy the hardware from them, but I have never trusted them, way too sneaky.

Yes, very wise words. That is what I started doing at the end, it's a gamble for the sum of the parts. Although you can't even be sure of what you're buying so really it's just throwing money at them and hoping you get something of value in return.

They were upset with me because I was "perpetually unsatisfied" lol. They're totally used to people not challenging them on their business practices.

Helzy

Oct 19, 2017
When they actually allowed you in the warehouse, things weren't so bad, you could browse multi thousands of items and pick and choose what you wanted. The staff were always very helpful and would for instance do pulls on the spot if you just wanted a processor or RAM etc.,

Once they moved to the online order system, with no access to the warehouse, it really became a buyer beware situation. Unless it's something I really must have I won't purchase there any longer. Everything they sell is locally DONATED and honestly, for donated items the pricing is just, well, awfully expensive especially when you are buying sight unseen.

They call me probably 6 times a year looking for donations, I just tell them now I have nothing as they have repeatedly been no-shows to pick up whenever I have had significant computer recycling.

Again, if they went back to allowing the public in to browse I would consider them, however, until then, They just seem expensive and honestly kinda sketch now.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
customer retention ~ another overpriced CA company. Would you like to pay 30-50% premium? You get a spinner and glasses.
1687369711455.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: T_Minus