Who has done a server/NAS build with an ASRock ROMED6U-2L2T board?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Droz

Jan 6, 2022
San Francisco
Hello all,

I'm curious to know who here has done a build with a ROMED6U-2L2T board. I'd really like to know your use case as well as the physical case you used to build in. I'm considering using the Fractal Node 804.

would be great to see your pictures.

I didn't see much else posted in the forum other than issues with CPU's and the closest video is by Linus with the mini-itx version of this board.

I'm considering this board because it basically checks all the boxes

- bonkers current CPU support and good long term availability of used CPU's for upgrades
- lots of DIMMs slots
- minimum of two M.2 NVMe slots
- on board 10GigE
- Good amount of SATA ports

My use case is as a NAS and VM host

Applications I run

- resilio sync
- pi-hole
- plex

I currently have an 8 bay Netgear ReadyNAS that's been a champ for years. But its time to build something new as I'm down to 10TB of 60TB (really pissed that as I added more drives, the system went from RAID5 to RAID6 on me without asking and I couldn't revert).

I have begun to do some video editing and finding footage ingest to be the biggest bottleneck (4k files are ridiculous), which unfortunately can't be solved because SD cards are only so fast. My ReadyNAS is far too slow to store footage and do video editing with and the 2TB NVMe M.2 in my Shuttle desktop fills up too quickly. (Thanks Shuttle for only one NVMe M.2 capable slot on the 8th Gen series while the 7th Gen series had two). I could get a new larger NVMe SSD but that's money I don't want to spend on upgrading an older system that I can't do much to upgrade to make it faster at processing. I have a single slot GTX 1070 in the x16 slot and a PCIe to M.2 adapter in the x4 slot. Getting a newer video card for video exports means I lose use of the x4 slot for storage.

So the ROMED6U-2L2T really makes sense for me.

I can get six large drives to start and transfer everyone onto the new system as primary storage and leave the readynas as backup. I would also like to get some PCIe to M.2 cards for SSD storage for video editing, with 10GigE that makes it decently fast for me to be workable. Now the rest of the equation is VMWare (free version is perfectly fine for my needs) or TrueNAS

I'm super comfortable with VMWare and I've only watched videos and read articles/reviews of TrueNAS. Please don't try to sell me on Proxmox, KVM, containers, etc

I'm currently running Plex and Resilio Sync on my 7th Gen Shuttle with an i5-7500 running Windows 10 and both work fine on that, trouble is all my storage is on the ReadyNAS and I want to consolidate things into one box. Migrating Plex is going to be a pain as it currently runs on windows and the DB doesn't transfer well to another OS. I will probably have to spend a lot of time manually editing again to get matches going. I tried to migrate to an 8th Gen i7 NUC running linux and that failed miserably

Building a new server with the ROMED6U with an 8 core Epyc, 64GB Ram and six 14TB drives would be a good starting point and I can upgrade over time if need be. The four PCIe slots give me what I need for putting in an nvidia card for transcoding and PCIe to M.2 cards. Though I am surprised there's no mention of PCIe bifurcation in the manual. Can anyone confirm it does or doesn't do this? I'd like to get the right PCIe to M.2 cards (with or without PCIe switches).

For poops and giggles I thought about putting in a thunderbolt card to see if that would work either in a hypervisor or bare metal install before making things final

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Marraz

Oct 31, 2023
Oh man, I recently upgrade my NAS with a ROMED6U-2L2T, AMD EPYC 7452 and 256GB ram, is ABSOLUTELY NUTS!!! I hope u did it as well because is awesome, I put a bunch of disks but more importantly, a zfs pool of mirrored U.2 nvme drives, I put lancache on that baby and damn! I'm happy with the results, between everyone at home we have like 5 pcs that are taking advantage of it, it can saturated the Gb connections (not everyone have 10GBe) and still have power to spare. And is kind of late but yes, it have bifurcation

Reactions: SDLeary