Who can tell me about HP DL380 G6?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
I'm crazily looking a purchasing a pallet of these servers possibly.

HP documentation is a bit trickier to navigate then Dell so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me:

Do these servers support x56xx series Xeons?

Does anyone know if there is a size limit on the HP
P410i SAS controller with regards to capacity? HP documentation talks about doing something special to be able to have a boot volume larger than 2TB so I'm assuming they do.

How is the noise on these?

Thanks everyone!

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
These support both 55xx and 56xx series cpu's.

The P410 does...not 100% on the i-version but would assume the same. Beware they have 3GB SAS backplanes.

Noise...depends on the PSU's with them and what you stick in them. In general, I wouldn't sleep next to one.

In general HP server data is listed by their respective Quickspec (google usually works faster than HPE's site).

http://www.nts.nl/site/html/modules/pdf/Server/HP Proliant DL380G6.pdf

cptbjorn

Aug 16, 2013
The noise is pretty quiet for servers, especially from that era, but I think that all goes out the window if you put in unsupported PCIe cards and maybe certain disks. If I'm remembering correctly H22x HBAs aren't on the list and the p410 doesn't support HBA mode so there was no way to run software raid in a supported/quiet config.

Reactions: PigLover

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The noise is pretty quiet for servers, especially from that era, but I think that all goes out the window if you put in unsupported PCIe cards and maybe certain disks. If I'm remembering correctly H22x HBAs aren't on the list and the p410 doesn't support HBA mode so there was no way to run software raid in a supported/quiet config.
Your memory is correct. These HP servers run very quiet IF they recognize all the hardware and get environmental data from them. But if there is even one 'unknown' card plugged in they go 'safe' and run all the fans full speed.

You are also correct that the P410i does not have a true HBA mode. And the HP cards that do were never added to the 'recognized' list in the BMC. So you get quiet operation with P410 raid or loud as heck with H-series HBA.

Neither choice is ideal for most of the readers of STH.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Your memory is correct. These HP servers run very quiet IF they recognize all the hardware and get environmental data from them. But if there is even one 'unknown' card plugged in they go 'safe' and run all the fans full speed.

You are also correct that the P410i does not have a true HBA mode. And the HP cards that do were never added to the 'recognized' list in the BMC. So you get quiet operation with P410 raid or loud as heck with H-series HBA.

Neither choice is ideal for most of the readers of STH.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
They actually are very quiet.. make less noice than my 3750x series :)
Love these boxes..

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Is that true of the DL380 G6? I thought they had an acoustic BIOS option? It was definitely true of the DL180 G6 and it had no such acoustic option. I suppose have a DL380G6 under my bed - if someone really needs to know I could test it sometime (but still need to look at the Supermicro cabling for someone once I get home!)

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
Well my wallet and wife will be happy that someone else bought the pallet of them before I did.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
I've never had a DL380 G6 do this. I have a little less experience with them, but I've crammed all kinds of non-HP shit into my personal ML350e Gen8 and it stays relatively quiet.

If your server is noisy, you probably need to change the power and cooling mode to high efficiency or something. High performance mode makes an incredible racket.

cptbjorn

Aug 16, 2013
Is that true of the DL380 G6? I thought they had an acoustic BIOS option? It was definitely true of the DL180 G6 and it had no such acoustic option. I suppose have a DL380G6 under my bed - if someone really needs to know I could test it sometime (but still need to look at the Supermicro cabling for someone once I get home!)
It isn't nearly as loud as the dl180g6 (I own both) but mine still ramped up with unsupported cards to the point where I didn't want it in my apartment.

gbeirn

Jun 23, 2016
How does one go about updating the BIOS on these without warranty support from HP?

Edit looks like you can grab the whole Proliant Service Pack. Which will have all the firmware/drivers? I hope since its a 5.7GB download.

The file name is: 864794_001_spp-2016.04.0-SPP2016040.2016_0317.20.iso

Hopefully that isn't a problem posting here in case others need help or stumble across this.

Last edited: