Which SATA ports are connected to which SAS controller on Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TP8F?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I have a Supermicro 11SDV-4C-TP8F motherboard and I run ESXi on it, having FreeNAS as a VM. I am considering buying a server rack mount for this board with 12 hot-swappable disks - 2U 2412 - Inter-Tech GmbH, and I am a bit unsure of one thing:

The motherboard has 2 MiniSAS HD connectors, plus 4 SATA connectors. On ESXi, I see only two SAS controllers. Does it mean that each controller is responsible for 6 ports, like 4 from each MiniSAS HD port, and 2 SATA ports?

I currently use one of the MiniSAS HD connectors to connect HDD drives to my FreeNAS, and I passthrough one controller to FreeNAS, and it works fine this way.

However, I am not sure if I will be able to passthrough all the 12 HDD drives - it would be nice to identify which of the connectors is managed by each of my SAS controllers.

Any hints here?

Best,

Francis

kapone

May 23, 2015
It looks like...

- The physical SATA ports are labeled S-SATA0-3
- The Mini-SAS HD ports are labeled I-SATA0-3 and I-SATA4-7.

I don't use this board, so I'm venturing a guess here, but I'd imagine one controller is for the physical SATA ports (4x of them) and one for the MiniSAS HD ports (8x of them).

It'd be a snap to connect a drive to each set of ports, set it for passthrough in ESXi and check your VM to see if the drive shows up.

Jul 29, 2019
It'd be a snap to connect a drive to each set of ports, set it for passthrough in ESXi and check your VM to see if the drive shows up.
Thanks @kapone. That's what I did when I first installed my hard disks, but now I can't afford downtime, that's why I asked in hope of someone who has the same motherboard could shed some light into this.