Where to get Mellanox low profile brackets ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi,

Anyone know where I can get low profile brackets for the Mellanox MHGH28-XTC controllers.

In a bit of a 'Doh' moment, I realised the three I needed for the C6100 needed low profile brackets. The one for the ML110G7 is fine.

I have taken the full height brackets off but would prefer them to be a bit more secure than they currently are.

Thanks
RB

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
So YOU are the one bidding against me on them @ eBay :). No, my friends and I are looking as well and there isn't a good source that we can find. I was tempted to buy the Cisco cards to see if they could be crossflashed. I even tried to contact the mellanox guy from one of the threads on here that said he would sell them but not response. If you get some, please share. I would even consider buying a bunch and stockpiling for others since these are so hard to get.

Hi,

Anyone know where I can get low profile brackets for the Mellanox MHGH28-XTC controllers.

In a bit of a 'Doh' moment, I realised the three I needed for the C6100 needed low profile brackets. The one for the ML110G7 is fine.

I have taken the full height brackets off but would prefer them to be a bit more secure than they currently are.

Thanks
RB

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Haha, I did buy it now :p.

I got them at the same time as the C6100 from one guy so I could get the parts all shipped together.

I will keep an eye out but suspect I will have to Dremel some standard low profile PCI brackets like I did for my P812. Draft excluder around the hole makes for a snug fit ;).

Will let you know if I find any.

RB

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
In a post long ago, STH user ehorn shared that the Mellanox sales department has a bracket program and sells them for $2.

See post number 16 in this thread: http://forums.servethehome.com/great-deals/743-mellanox-mhqh19b-xtr-half-price-2.html
Hi,

Thanks
RB

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Yep, I PM'd ehorn to get the rep's contact info and emailed him. He hasn't written back Mellanox rep. I'll have to call and harass I guess.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
So I heard back from Mellanox sales rep. Seems we are SOL on the low profile adapters.

"Unfortunately, the short brackets for the adapter cards are EOL. Part number: MEC000059. You might be able to find this out on the gray market. "

Time to switch to the cable-tie mounting approach. Has worked well for me before... ;)

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
You can also modify an LSI bracket. The low profile LSI brackets have one screw hole that lines up perfectly and is enough to securely hold the card in place. You will need to create or enlarge an opening in the bracket, unless you have a 9202-16e bracket, which is big enough already.

I'd much rather have a "real" bracket, but the above is working for me as a temporary measure.

So I heard back from Mellanox sales rep. Seems we are SOL on the low profile adapters.

"Unfortunately, the short brackets for the adapter cards are EOL. Part number: MEC000059. You might be able to find this out on the gray market. "

Time to switch to the cable-tie mounting approach. Has worked well for me before... ;)

Last edited:

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
I can tell you who actually makes them for most of these storage vendors and thats CBT (formerly Purcell). Purcell Products | Purcell technologies | Purcell Brackets ... Example, the brackets on LSI cards - those were all stamped by Purcell.

At one point I ordered 100 x full height brackets for IBM M1015's and they did me a favor selling them as a factory sample since apparently that quantity isnt even a run -- if I recall their normal runs started at 1000 or 10,000. They're essentially B2B/wholesale so not exactly equipped for end users needing one or two brackets.

I have a contact there if anyone's interested but seeing Chuckleb's post you guys may want to try the short run route first.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I sent them an email and will send one of my cards to them as a sample. I'm assuming the dual port version of the card would be fine? Once I get pricing and such, I'll update you all and have folks PM me how many they want to cut down spam.

carlosmp

Mar 12, 2013
I've been trying to contact Gerry Hunt for several weeks now, and only got him once by email/phone. I was willing to purchase about 30 of them and pay the freight from Isreal just to have them, and sell the rest after keeping a few spares. We're modifying most of our servers to use the dual QDR boards, and have an immediate need for about 8.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Quick update, going back and forth with them. They refused to fabricate a bracket from a card and wanted a bracket to copy from so I went out and bought found a card with bracket on eBay. Sent them a picture so hope they will accept and let me send in the card.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Ok just got in the quote for the short run, there was some reverse engineering charges and shipping to me. So the first cost was $18.34/bracket but I had them take off the nickel plating and whatnot to bring it down to about $15.50/bracket. Depending on how many people are interested in and commit to, I'm willing to order extra to bring the cost down more and sell keep stock for others in the future or sell on ebay. Flat rate mailer from USPS is $5.80 shipping to you (assuming US).

These are based off of a LP bracket that I got with the dual CX4 connectors (as pictured above). They should be a perfect match and very easy to swap brackets.

PM me if you are interested and how many. Assume the $15.50 cost but if it goes lower, will pass on savings.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Well I have returned with a big box of brackets. If anyone is interested, they are in stock and they work. I adapted 4 of my cards today so no more cable ties. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks
Charles