Where the heck are the 5Gbe Ethernet USB dongles??????

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
So, I'm trying to setup a home network. I currently have a Synology DS920+ NAS. I'm thinking about buying and building a DIY NAS - but I figure if I can use my DS920+ that would save me money. Obviously one of the flaws of the DS920+ is it only has 1Gbe. If you search the tubes, and this website, there are tutorials on how to attach 2.5Gbe and 5Gbe ethernet USB adapters to the DS920+ and get better network speeds. So, I search the internet for these adapters - guess what they are all gone - not to be found. This includes the Sabrient and QNAP reviewed here:

USB 3.1 Gen1 to 5GbE Network Adapter Guide - ServeTheHome

What happened? Were these running too hot and therefore obsoleted? Did they not work??? I found some obscure places for the QNAP but they are charging $200+ for this adapter that listed at $70ish. I see a review for Plugable 2.5Gbe adapter - that's at least something - but I would like to try 5Gbe USB.

Does anyone know what happeneed to these products - or where I might be able to find a substitute?

EDIT: I found this - but it's expensive:

StarTech.com 5GbE USB A to Ethernet Adapter, NBASE-T NIC, USB 3.0 Type A 2.5 GbE /5 GbE Multi Speed Gigabit Network USB 3.1 to RJ45/LAN - Walmart.com

BTW it seems this is also discontinued on StarTech website. This product was also reviewed by STH.

Last edited:

MountainBofh

Mar 9, 2024
I don't think they exist at the moment. Aquanta was making the 5gb chipset, and since they got borged by Marvell there's nothing coming out of them anymore. Realtek is working on a 5gb chipset (the 8126), but rumor has it they're having some issues with it.

My guess is once Realtek irons out their issues, you'll see a 5gb usb option pretty fast.

Reactions: ColdCanuck

oharag

Feb 18, 2024
I don't think they exist at the moment. Aquanta was making the 5gb chipset, and since they got borged by Marvell there's nothing coming out of them anymore. Realtek is working on a 5gb chipset (the 8126), but rumor has it they're having some issues with it.

My guess is once Realtek irons out their issues, you'll see a 5gb usb option pretty fast.
Thanks for response.i was hoping to find some inventory anywhere but to go. I do see some of these reviews were 3 years ago. I guess I missed boat. I did see some complaints with 5gbe adapter with heat/intermittent behavior.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
I've got a sabrent one and a qnap quad nic to sync my laptop with my server. The sabrent works well and has a burned in driver that mounts when you plug it in.

I recently started using thunderbolt between them as it's 3x faster.

Nbase-t though still seems to be a niche thing for some reason. It's been around for awhile now though. I find searching using the chipset much more efficient when hunting obscure items. Iirc the chipset is aqc-110? there's a list of them as there's 5 different chipsets.