Where/how do you install Proxmox & more

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The ESXI thread got me thinking... ESXI cares a lot less about what it's installed onto... so Proxmox obviously you have the OS itself and management software/layer, but then you have containers and VMs all possibly running off where you did the install.

So what did you install it onto, and why? How is it working? Would you change anything?

Have you tested/compared to other setups?

IE: Mirrored SSD for OS/Proxmox on ZFS and let Proxmox handle the rest vs putting VMs and Containers only on other mirrored SSD and is that faster, slower, the same?

I've been playing around with Proxmox on 2x 64GB SATADOMs and VMs on P3600 NVME.

• It got me thinking...
    1. if both SataDOM die can I simply re-install PVE on new drives and import my VMs and be up and running again?
    2. Should we be backing up the actual Proxmox Install itself in addition to the VMs?
    3. Are my VMs on the p3600 handicapped at all because PVE is on a slow SATA disc?
    4. Are my containers on the P3600 handicapped at all because PVE is on a slow SATA disc?

There's a lot LESS information on proxmox than ESXI and I've been spending a good bit of time today researching for answers and sadly a lot of the posts are from 2012-2014 on completely old versions of PVE. PVE posts/content is lacking while ESXI you get a million answers to decide which is best ;) LOL!!

Anyway, I was hoping we could turn this thread into a proxmox storage question/answer what works, what doesn't, etc... starting with some points I made above.

I didn't bring in multiple nodes, and ceph because, well most here aren't running 3+ nodes in addition to shared storage and even for my small business that's a lot of hardware to keep running all the time for VMs that can go down and be 'fine', so I'm trying to learn more about local storage and data security and how it relates to PVE.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
USB Drives - Have killed multiple with Ceph
Kingston V200 - Have killed multiple (in under 72 hours) with Ceph
SATA DOMs = Work well (go for 64GB or larger)
Intel S3500+ = All work well. I recommend 120GB or larger, 160GB+ is best.

The reason I like to have slightly bigger local drives with Proxmox is that they