When your server rack is full...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mineblaster

Jan 16, 2019
so im looking to clean up the network spaghetti in the back of my rack and adding more another switch and playing with pfsense. anyway i kinda dont have any space in my left 22ru cabinet .so i was thinking of bolting a 12ru cabinet ontop and using the cable hole to route in between them.i feel its a little jank but its for home so..

should i continue with the jank or pony up and just get a bigger rack (like a 37u rack)

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I'm not sure where you live so there is a large YMMV factor here, but in most major cities used 42U racks can be had very cheaply. In my experience you could probably sell that 22U rack for as much or more than a used 42U would cost you since they are less common and the half height is popular for home use.

In the end getting a proper full height rack will save you hassle compared to bolting two racks together.

kapone

May 23, 2015
I'd never bolt two racks together...with the amount of weight that's involved...racking/deracking heavy stuff, it's a disaster waiting to happen. If you gotta have more rack space, get a bigger rack (and plan for future needs as well).

And one 42U rack kinda feels lonely...gotta have at least two... :p just kidding.

mineblaster

Jan 16, 2019
I'd never bolt two racks together...with the amount of weight that's involved...racking/deracking heavy stuff, it's a disaster waiting to happen. If you gotta have more rack space, get a bigger rack (and plan for future needs as well).

And one 42U rack kinda feels lonely...gotta have at least two... :p just kidding.
I would love to have two but the current one I have now fell though the floor boards. They are particle board and are weak from being soaked a long time ago.
I've got a 1m by 1m patch where the floor is replaced and is safe but the real estate is not a fan as it is now :oops:

mineblaster

Jan 16, 2019
I'm not sure where you live so there is a large YMMV factor here, but in most major cities used 42U racks can be had very cheaply. In my experience you could probably sell that 22U rack for as much or more than a used 42U would cost you since they are less common and the half height is popular for home use.

In the end getting a proper full height rack will save you hassle compared to bolting two racks together.
yeah ive been thinking over it the last few days and it seems more and more of a bad idea.

ive been hunting for one locally but its slim pickings but ill keep looking and come up with a convincing story for the real estate lady next time shes here. :D