What's your preferred thermal grease?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I usually use whatever comes with CPUs, (used) heatsinks, etc. Over time I've accumulated quite a store. But I recently got some that's obviously bad so I'm thinking that maybe I should invest in some good quality grease or face the possibility of a Fukushima style meltdown. Question is, which one.

andrewbedia

Jan 11, 2013
The best of the best from my observations (I only buy these for overclocked systems or where every degree matter.
NT-H1
GC-Extreme
GC-Supreme

Average (for normal things), cheap, good.
Arctic Alumina/Ceramique/Ceramique 2

Stuff I hate
Arctic Silver 5.

I hate as5 because of the giant mess (especially cleaning it up) it makes and it's also electrically conductive. In this day and age, I don't understand why that still needs to be a thing. There are many compounds that are very good at conducting heat that don't do this.

Reactions: Patriot

MikeChristie

Jul 27, 2016
I like the Zalman stuff that comes in a little bottle like nail varnish complete with brush. Its great, very easy to spread a thin layer.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I like Arctic MX2. Good thermal properties and non conductive in case of accidents. If I actually need better than that, either the heatsink is not flat enough, has some sort of fitting issue or the chip itself really could do with a suitable bonded heatsink. This doesn't take into consideration poor chip design obviously :)

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
I stand corrected

Thermal grizzly kryonaut is the best you can buy

UNLESS

you would like a few choices that behave like liquid metal or Mercury and are very conductive

Ninja1283

Jul 10, 2016
No love for Arctic MX-4?

Non-capacitive, non-conductive, non-corrosive, non-bleeding, and quick-curing, vs the outdated Arctic Silver 5.

Reactions: Danic

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I researched this last year and read a dozen + sites and came to the conclusion at that time the
Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme
Was the best choice for:
- Consistently among the highest rated / suggested ones
- Consistently had cooler temps (and cooler temps than my previous AS5 paste)
- Non conductive
- Easy to use/clean
- Somewhat still affordable for building dozens of systems

I was using Artic Silver 5 (at-least I think that's what it was 2 or so years ago) previously but for a few bucks more the GC was getting 5*C cooler avg or so on all review sites I read.

Right off the bat you eliminate the insanely expensive ones, and the pain in the rear ones which are usually the top 1-3 pastes that people rarely use due to 1 or more of those issues, the next elimination for me was anything conductive in case I made an "oops" and didn't notice. The next thing I looked for was cost to saving... for me it wasn't worth even $2+ more to save only 1-3*C.

If sound isn't a concern then there's probably no point in going with anything that cost more than AS5 because the fan will compensate for the difference at idle, and at load the fans already at speed and it's not like 5*C or 15*C at load is going to ruin or degrade the CPU before life is up.

This is purely from a server / workstation perceptive, if you're OCing and pushing thermal limits then 5*C may matter to you much more than me / most of us :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I didn't see any review on Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut last year... I'm going to have to check that stuff out assuming it's not stupid expensive and yields enough improvement over Gelid stuff I'm using...

Reactions: Patriot

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Need to revisit this topic one more time. :(

Today I received a matched pair of E5645's. They replaced a pair of X5570's. The Arctic Silver 5 I ordered hasn't arrived yet but I did have some Arctic Silver 3. I used it and what a freaking joke. :confused: I ran Cinebench and the fans roared to full speed and the score was not what I was expecting. I checked temps in SD5 and both CPU's showed as HOT. I immediately shut it down, pulled it out of the rack (again :mad:) and replaced the Arctic Silver with some Cooler Master I had on hand that came free with a heatsink. Put it all back together, slid it back into the rack and ran Cinebench again. This time the fans did not speed up at all and the score was what I expected (1032). So I just ordered some of the Grizzly stuff and will send the Arctic Silver back. Any thermal grease that acts in this manner isn't worth a damn as far as I'm concerned. I've used some pretty cheap (mostly free) stuff and have never experience this before. This was a 1U case with passive heatsinks that I added 2 additional fans to.

BTW: The E5645 is a lot of bang for the buck. I have 4 more on the way that set me back 20 bucks each. :)

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
I have a couple of the x5650 but this looks better for a dual setup - the L5640 is priced a bit high, but I should just set up a few searches to catch any deal that might pop up :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
DId some researching and it looks like there's a # of other people with the same comments/opinion as myself regarding the Gelid... even compared to the Grizzly which is too much $$ for little to no improvement.

I'll be sticking to the GElid.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I had been getting PK-1 and PK-3 because they were 2-3 degrees behind liquid metal...and only a degree behind gelid for avg installs... but you could get them in 30g tubes for ~$30 ... :)
If you want ultimate 1 time use... go metal...
If you have 1 box and need a few uses gelid...
If you have a farm ... PK-3