Whats the Cheapest Way to Get 16-20TB SSD [single or multi drive]?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hexenhammer

Dec 13, 2019
Hi,
I have last HDD in my PC 18TB and i want to replace it with SSD.
Right now i have x3 4tb, storage space and 4tb gen4 for games and 2tb gen 4 for downloads
The thing is the x3 4TB SSDs 860evo i got from a friend on deep discount like 2-3 years ago

Now i been researching and cant find anything price comfortable, x2 870 QVO are OKish price but QVO?
I can get the always on sale 4TB P3 and P3 Plus, but my mobo has no space for 4 NVMe stick [it has 5 total and one is gen 3]
I checked on aliexpress for the raid0 nvme cards with PLX chips, some offers are affordable, but x16 slot i dont have, and gen 3 x8 slot will give me a total speed of single PCie Gen 4 drive and my 4090 will get half PCIe lanes

Maybe there are some low prices for used enterprise SSDS? like maybe dual U.2 [with m.2 to u.2 cables] or dual 8tb SATA [just not qvo]

x2 Mainstream 8tb nvme is good idea, but they cost MUCH more than x2 4TB NVMes, maybe there is enterprise m.2 8tb sticks?

If you have any ideas please let me know

P.S. as last option is MACH.2 HDD, but they not sold anywhere, i kinda want to not use any HDDs at all, but if there is option to buy MACH2 and its far cheaper then as last resort [I have 150TB unraid and backup there and use it for big file storage like movies, to save power i keep it in sleep mode untill i need it once or twice a week, so 16-18tb local storage is used as "in-beetwen" for files, emulators, movies etc that i need so i wont have to turn on unraid every time]

Thanks in advance

Citizen03212

Sep 7, 2018
I have last HDD in my PC 18TB and i want to replace it with SSD.
Does your motherboard support bifurcation? If so, and it sounds like you have a x8 slot free: something like this and a couple 8'ishTB U.2 (example) (example2) would work. Lots of 7.68TB enterprise models on Ebay with tons of life yet.

But what are you trying to do? If it's just raw capacity: could you just start swapping your existing NVMe with 8TB models? If you want the low latency but not neccessarily NVMe bandwidth could you start adding as many 870 QVO's as you need?

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
The cheapest large drive that is not QLC that I am aware of is this:

Otherwise, as said, used enterprise drives.

Overall cheapest would be an array of 2 TB.

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
PLX chips
Forget packet switching (=PLX) for SSD, they want bandwidth. You want a mobo that supports bifurcation (also watch out for newest firmware, still a new feature) and then a shopping tour for top niche quality products:
PCIe Bifurcated Risers | PCI Express Bifurcation Risers (I have the X16 to 4x4 and all kinds of cards just work, also individual card passthrough just works, it is transparent for the OS)
or
C-Payne PCB Design (not in the need right now, but there are some multipurpose riser cards that give an extra m2-slot on top)

With an armada of https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M-2-unterstützt-Geräte-RAID-Plattform/dp/B0863KK2BP you should have plenty of slots to choose cheaper, smaller SSDs from.