What to do with single NVMe drive?

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by SGN, Oct 21, 2018.

1. SGN

SGN Member

I have one WD NVMe (WDS250G2X0C) 250GB m.2 drive I wanted to use as a local storage in my XenServer node. Supermicro X10SDV has unfortunetly some major problems in handling NVMe as a boot device. I moved to m.2 drive, but with SATA interface without problems.
    In longer term I want to add one flash VDEV into FreeNAS, but with 2,5mm drives in hot swap bays (4x500GB).
    Now I have one 250GB NVMe drive, brand new, with 0B written (200 TBW according to spec). What do do with it?
    1. Put it to FreeNas node as SLOG (drive has no battery). Is it worth?
    2. Buy one more and build super fast VDEV for iSCSI for hosting IOPS demanding VMs
    3. Other?

2. SGN

SGN Member

One more option in my mind. Maybe i could go with original plan and use NVMe drive in XenServer node and just add some spinner/SATADOM to boot XS.

So: add it to XS node or FreeNAS node?