What to do with a pile of low profile AMD FirePro 2270 GPUs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I've been given a box full of AMD FirePro 2270 GPUs (low profile). They are low-end and passive cooled, but otherwise is there anything useful to do with these GPUs? Are they energy efficient enough to be useful for some purpose?

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If it's a PCIe x1 card, you could keep 1 or 2 for spares.

While back I used one on a X9DRD-7LN4F server MB with broken IPMI & on board VGA. IIRC, those boards don't have x16 slot. Most graphics cards are x16.

Otherwise I don't see a point. You are in S. CA even to use them as space heaters.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@nthu9280 yeah, they are not 1x, but 16x. one can always cut the end of the PCI-E slot open as an option... but I was thinking whether these might have some value perhaps as compute GPU on a per watt basis? (obviously not for raw compute power) or as VM GPU? idk... i don't even see these on eBay so not sure what they are worth on eBay.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I would keep one or two and sell the rest, its handy do have different spare video cards on hand.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I would keep one or two and sell the rest, its handy do have different spare video cards on hand.
yeah, i thought about that too. @nthu9280 example above is perfect case for that. only thing is, not sure if it is easy to get a full height bracket for this card; i'd need both half and full height brackets to make it a useful "backup GPU" for those occasions.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Hm. Those were the graphics cards found in the HP t620 Plus/t730 thin clients, right?
maybe? idk... a few friends of mine know I can usually "recycle" computer hardware and find new uses for them so they just give me boxes of stuff occasionally. i think i'm just going to see if I can get something for them on ebay...

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
@nthu9280 yeah, they are not 1x, but 16x. one can always cut the end of the PCI-E slot open as an option... but I was thinking whether these might have some value perhaps as compute GPU on a per watt basis? (obviously not for raw compute power) or as VM GPU? idk... i don't even see these on eBay so not sure what they are worth on eBay.
Promote them as low cost, low wattage cards for retro gaming? Or shrill them to t620 Plus/t730 buyers who might want those extra 2 LCD outs?