What rack cabinet do you use?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
For those of you who have actual rack cabinets in your home, what kind of cabinet is it?

My first was a Middle Atlantic ERK-1825. It was pretty nice, except that it had pre-threaded circular holes (rather than square holes). Ultimately, the lack of square holes proved to be a deal-breaker, so I sold it and got a StarTech 4POSTRACK25.

I don't really have any complaints about the StarTech. Except now I'd like to have a cabinet with a locking front door. The Supermicro CSE-RACK14U looks perfect for my needs, but it's too expensive.

So... I half want to solicit other options and half I'm just curious what other people have in their homes. :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I wish I knew the brand that I have. It's a great 27U unit with locking doors on both ends and removable side panels. Proper square holes and everything. Ended up getting it off craigslist as was suggested in this thread.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
I have an offer in with a seller for a refurbished HP S10614. It's a 14U enclosed cabinet. The offer comes in at about 1/3 the price of list (shipped). I was contemplating a taller unit, but it should be enough for my needs.

P.S. Did you ever end up trying out the "shelf type" rails?

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I have two racks:

The first is a roll-out rack from Mid Atlantic Products that is notable for its ability to tuck into a small nook and then roll out on tracks for easy side and rear access. I built it in to a cabinet space in the stairway leading to our basement. This rack works great for shallow equipment up to 22" - switches, patch panels, audio equipment, home automation, small servers, etc. It is too shallow for big servers.

For the big servers, I have a 12U enclosed rolling rack with a 33" usable depth. If you live in the SF Bay Area, it's quite a deal. For $220 (used to be $200) you get an enclosed 12U rack delivered to your door by Bernard, who embodies the ideal of an immigrant/entrepreneur. See Craigslist. The photos look blue but the rack is black, and looks every bit as good as most $600 racks. The rails are square hole and you get enough nuts to rack up around six devices. The rolling wheels are a bit wimpy, but the rack is otherwise very solid. There is no rear door.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think you suggested me a rack by Bernard (but a larger version.)

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Interesting that this should pop up just at this time.

I am looking for a rack for home and have even passed the wife sign-off test for a 42U 600x 800 or 800 x 800 unit.

The thing is that pricing new here in Singapore is ridiculously expensive. A 42U is going for around S$1.4k minimum (around US$1.15k). Realistically these are just metal frames with rack mount rails (square / round hole) and a metal skin with glass or perforated doors. Some units are welded which of course adds to the cost but still this seems a very heavy price for units that are locally manufactured.

Out of interest I checked around and believe I can get some in direct from manufacturers flat packed for around (tentative) S$800 (around US$650) inc three shelves and two top fans. Even if people have concerns about fixing together, they can get them welded locally and I would imagine still save a large amount. Shipping to the US, based on initial investigation, should also not be too high.

I will update as I know more for those who may be interested.

RB

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Cabinet arrived:

A little dusty, but otherwise in very good condition:

Ended up paying $450.00... $200.00 for the cabinet and freight fees (sting a bit).

Local purchases are obvious lower cost approach here, just could not find anything locally. All-in-all, still pleased with the purchase.

Will shoot some better pics when I get the components installed.

michaeld

Oct 10, 2012
I bought this knock-down rack from Starcase.com. It is just as solid as the traditional 42U racks I use at work. It's all about the assembly, and tightening the hundred-something screws that hold it together very well.

http://www.starcase.com/prod-QF2430_19__Wide,_30__Deep,_24U_High_Rack_Kit-669.aspx?

Add in two sidepanels (cardboard) and a top panel (sheet steel) and you've got a rack. Total is roughly $393 before shipping. The side panels, at $85 are a ripoff IMO being that they are fiberboard, basically. You could fab your own. The top panel though is steel and I've had a 100-pound laser printer on it.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Have been looking at the flat pack racks and a concern is the building. One thing you could do is add a decent metal -> metal adhesive when you screw it together. I would be concerned that the vibration from the servers may loosen the screws over time otherwise.

I managed to find a local second hand 42U for around US$70 and someone who can deliver for not to bad a price so comes in at around US$200. 42U, 600mm x 1000mm. 4 top fans but glass front door so I may have to sort out some better cooling being that is is in a tropical climate and without aircon.

RB

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Cabinet arrived:

A little dusty, but otherwise in very good condition:

Ended up paying $450.00... $200.00 for the cabinet and freight fees (sting a bit).

Local purchases are obvious lower cost approach here, just could not find anything locally. All-in-all, still pleased with the purchase.

I very much like the 'branded' cabinets and to get a decent one for that price is pretty good. Pretty good size too.

RB

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Cabinet arrived:

-snip-

I have the exact same cabinet, found a brand new one (unopened carton mounted on the same shock pallete) on ebay awhile back for $250.

Managed to use the dock at work, saved a TON on shipping this way. Truck freight to residential/curbside is an absolute ripoff, they demand to charge for lift gate service even if you won't need it.

I consider it steal to get that one to your door for <500 (retail is 1k noship) and a small enclosed cabinet on wheels is a lot less hassle than a free-standing 7' rack.

1M depth versus the usual 600/800mm is really useful, you can double stack the back rail with small switches/kvms/pdus etc. I though about painting it to look more like a table or piece of furniture, but it looks just fine with a printer and lamp on top in the office.

I only have quiet parts inside it though (self built 4Us with nice fans, fanless switch, etc) if you're going to have used servers or whatever then better to go with the 7' 42U in the basement style.

michaeld

Oct 10, 2012
Have been looking at the flat pack racks and a concern is the building. One thing you could do is add a decent metal -> metal adhesive when you screw it together. I would be concerned that the vibration from the servers may loosen the screws over time otherwise.

I managed to find a local second hand 42U for around US$70 and someone who can deliver for not to bad a price so comes in at around US$200. 42U, 600mm x 1000mm. 4 top fans but glass front door so I may have to sort out some better cooling being that is is in a tropical climate and without aircon.

RB
You could always put Loctite in the threads if you're concerned about it coming apart. But I wouldn't worry. I assembled mine overseas, making sure to really tighten the screws. I used it for three years, then shipped it back here to the states. It's still rock solid.

I have the 30" depth and do the "double rack" thing. I have a 16-port HP switch back there. Works great.

hagak

Oct 22, 2012
I use an APC 25U rack. Watched craiglist for awhile before I found just the right one for me. This one was in perfect condition, not even a scratch on it, side panels, doors, and keys. Owner even included the manual, and all the nuts and tools that came with it.
I picked it up for $400. Note you can pick up a 42U rack for pretty much the same price, the 25U racks do not show up on craiglist too often. I really did not want a 42U because I needed to get it down to my basement which is a flight of stairs with a turn at the bottom, man handling a 200+ pound 25U was a pain for me and my friend, can not imagine trying to do that with a 42U. Yes we did remove doors and all panels including top panel.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
You could always put Loctite in the threads if you're concerned about it coming apart. But I wouldn't worry. I assembled mine overseas, making sure to really tighten the screws. I used it for three years, then shipped it back here to the states. It's still rock solid.

I have the 30" depth and do the "double rack" thing. I have a 16-port HP switch back there. Works great.
Yeah, that was my thought. It is not so much for me but for customers as I do not trust their handling or construction very much and would rather not have them coming banging on my door because their 42U fully loaded rack collapsed due to them not tightening the bolts properly.

RB

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
I very much like the 'branded' cabinets and to get a decent one for that price is pretty good. Pretty good size too.

RB
Thanks RB, I am quite pleased with the cabinet.

I have the exact same cabinet, found a brand new one (unopened carton mounted on the same shock pallete) on ebay awhile back for $250.

Managed to use the dock at work, saved a TON on shipping this way. Truck freight to residential/curbside is an absolute ripoff, they demand to charge for lift gate service even if you won't need it.

I consider it steal to get that one to your door for <500 (retail is 1k noship) and a small enclosed cabinet on wheels is a lot less hassle than a free-standing 7' rack.

1M depth versus the usual 600/800mm is really useful, you can double stack the back rail with small switches/kvms/pdus etc. I though about painting it to look more like a table or piece of furniture, but it looks just fine with a printer and lamp on top in the office.

I only have quiet parts inside it though (self built 4Us with nice fans, fanless switch, etc) if you're going to have used servers or whatever then better to go with the 7' 42U in the basement style.
Thanks Aluminum,

The wheels are nice and solid with the rack loaded up. Very easy to move around. I managed to install some of the main components to examine fitment. I left 3 slots open for 2 switches in back (IP and IB) and a router.

Lots of work left to do, but here is a current shot:

I have been very busy with other priorities as of late, so little time for hobby stuff. I am hoping to do some more work around the holidays. Overall, the cabinet is solid and spacious. I am very pleased with this unit for my modest needs.

peace,