What percentage of your home systems use extra onboard mobo features?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
Reading this article by Patrick today: http://www.servethehome.com/Worksta...extreme4-review-matx-lga1150-z87-motherboard/ and the one from last week: http://www.servethehome.com/Workstation-detail/supermicro-x10slq-motherboard-review-q87-vpro/

It made me think of something. How many people actually fill their shiny new motherboards? Here's what I'd think:

80% of people use 1 drive
15% of people use 2 drives
4 or 5% of people use 2-6 drives
<1% use 6+ drives

80% of people use integrated video
15% of people use 1 GPU
4 or 5% of people use 2 GPUs
>1% of people use 3+ GPUs

Here's another one, for how many non-benchmarkers out there is spending an extra $450 on better cooling, a K CPU, fast memory and a fancy motherboard to get 25% more overclocking performance even worth it? Seems like it'd be better just to save money this generation then buy a new setup in 2 generations.

Am I crazy? If not, are a lot of people paying for these features and not using them? It's not like the general consensus is a Marvell controller is better than the onboard Intel one, so people who actually would want to use it must be really low. Likewise, it kinda makes me wanna pay only for 1GPU and then pay for an unlocking license to use more than 1 in SLI or Crossfire.

Then again, if I'm buying two GPUs, why in the heck am I paying for AMD or NVIDIA's IP to allow me to buy two or more of their GPUs and use them on the same motherboard?

Raising a bigger question --- with how integrated all this stuff is on motherboards now, are we just forcing a SoC future where you get a chip on a board with i/o ports?

Love to hear other thoughts. The more I think about it, I'm just imagining that most people don't use all of the features on their motherboards.