What motherboard is out there that takes....

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
Cleaning out the "spare parts" cabinet, I came across a nearly full box (40+) of memory that I had bought a long time ago to upgrade a pair of WD Sentinel DS6100 servers, planning on selling the rest, but never got around to it....

The RAM is
HYNIX HMT41GA7AFR8a-PB
8GB EP3L-12800E 1600Mhz ECC SODIMM

So my question is, if I wanted to build another computer -- what motherboard out there supports 4 of these (32GB)? Can anyone suggest a couple of motherboards? Anyone know where to get them (preferably reasonably, or even trade???)?

Thanks in advance!
MM

P.S. Found out these apparently fit in Moonshot servers...not quite what I was looking for.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Supermicro c2000 line MBs and applicances that use that same board of course.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
There is some old C2000 boards from Supermicro that support it but likely that’s not interesting.
My guess would be a asrock rack had I am sure some 1150 Xeon m-itx boards with support for ECC sodimm

(Around the 12xx v3 kind of generation)

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
A number of Supermicro motherboard lines support it. Some examples:

A1SRi
A1SAi
X9SPV
X9SKV
X9SBAA

Only the first 2 are common.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Depends on the exact cartridge, but yes, a number do support it.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
most systems designed for regular (unbuffered non-ecc) memory would work just fine with unbuffered ecc (without the ecc function of course).

but personally I would just sell the modules than design a new system around them.

Last edited:

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
most systems designed for regular (unbuffered non-ecc) memory would work just fine with unbuffered ecc (without the ecc funtion of course).

but personally I would just sell the modules than design a new system around them.
Yep, I need to stay away from older hardware (I've got no less than four system I'm currently overhauling that are at least 8+ y/o).
But it would be helpful if I could get a list of what motherboards take this kind of memory so I could target it.

More importantly, I need to get off my lazy a** and get it up for sale.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Yeah, your link to "why did I buy this" is what made me ask the question, as the image looked like it would fit...
That specific model (m400) definitely does as I pulled a bunch of ECC SODIMMs out of it before giving it away.