What is the monetary value of support on servers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chrgrose

Jul 18, 2018
I resell server hardware, primarily on eBay, but I don't really dabble in later generation hardware (Xeon scalable and later). So, I rarely get servers that have active OEM support plans. Well, I recently obtained two Dells, an R340 and an R240, both of which have active support until about Feb 2026 (Silver/Pro Support). Two and a half years seems to be a lot of time. But I don't really understand how much value this adds to the systems, if any. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
It often means you are going to get support from dell when you have issues with your box, sometimes they will replace broken hardware free of charge too. (depending on the level of support bought for this box.) Sometimes certain parts are unobtainium - and because of the support -> dell will provide those for you.

In most cases dell enterprise will ignore/won't help you with anything while on chat/phone if support has expired for the product.

Reactions: chrgrose

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Depends. If you can't transfer the ownership of the item in Dell's system, then they may refuse to support it, which means it's not all that valueable. Been hit or miss for me.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Try 50% of the support package's retail price, adjusted for time decay. Try to open a ticket for your own address, see what they say. Then close it as "never mind". If you stay within country the gear was sold in, address should not matter. Unless sold in NYC and gear is now in Alaska or Hawaii.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
The support in my exp was always bought as part of dell service (item) tag, they never cared who bought it - and where it is at. As long as server had valid support for the tag id they don't ask questions. (at least thats my exp with enterprise account)

Reactions: MiniKnight