What is the best way to stack two Brocade ICX 6430-24 switches?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

_Alchemist_

Jan 22, 2021
::1/128
Hello, everyone,

I was able to get hold of two Brocade 6430-24 switches very cheaply on eBay and now I want to stack them.
The only available SFP modules I found on the Brocade datasheet are the E1MG-SX-OM, which I could buy either used on eBay or new on fs.com.
AFAIK I would need four SFPs and two (short) OM2 fiber cables to put both switches in a stack.

Is that correct or is there an even better/cheaper way to stack the two switches? Thanks in advance :)

Rttg

May 21, 2020
I’ve used other ICX models (not the 6430), but you should be able to stack with a single DAC cable, assuming you don’t need the extra distance that fiber allows.

_Alchemist_

Jan 22, 2021
I’ve used other ICX models (not the 6430), but you should be able to stack with a single DAC cable, assuming you don’t need the extra distance that fiber allows.
The switches will only be 2U apart, so a DAC cable would be perfect, but I haven't been able to find a compatible one yet.

Rttg

May 21, 2020
I wouldn’t worry about a Brocade/Ruckus compatibility list. A generic 1m cable off Amazon for $10 works fine for me - these switches are known for being fairly permissive about the cables/transceivers they’ll accept (unlike some other brands - e.g., my Aruba S2500 would only take Molex-branded DACs).

Reactions: _Alchemist_

_Alchemist_

Jan 22, 2021
Fine then I'll try my luck with that, but I'm buying two so I have more bandwidth - or is it possible to stack over SFP and trunk over RJ-45?

Rttg

May 21, 2020
Can’t mix media/speeds on a stack (it needs to be SFP only).

You may also want to check the data sheet to confirm that 6430s *can* stack… I seem to recall some limitations on those models (e.g., no 10G).

Reactions: _Alchemist_

_Alchemist_

Jan 22, 2021
The ICX6430 can be stacked, just only with 1Gb SFP instead of 10Gb SFP+.
That should be fine though as I don't have much traffic on my network.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
The switches will only be 2U apart, so a DAC cable would be perfect, but I haven't been able to find a compatible one yet.
Brocade ICX units are not picky about modules, but if you are concerned, order from FS.com and specify Brocade coding.