What backup software for backing up physical Linux servers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mobycl1ck

Feb 20, 2022
As the title says, I am interested to learn what solutions do you guys use, being that in homelab or enterprise environment.
For the moment, I am using Synology ABB on a test server and it is able to run a scheduled backup with its agent, and recovered the backup succesfully. Yet, I have some reservstion to promote it on production. Not much of support and some things are not so well documented, not implemented.
I am open to suggestions.
Thanks

:edited for spelling errors

Last edited:

louie1961

May 15, 2023
Rsync to back up my synology to a pi based NAS as a second copy onsite, and Rclone to backup to AWS Glacier as a third/offsite copy of my data.

NerdAshes

Jan 6, 2024
Eastside of Westside Washington
I used to be a StorageCraft partner - it's now ArcServe. It (SPX) was an awesome system, that cost a fortune. I got to bill monthly for it, so I loved it as a partner. If the money is not a concern - in my opinion, it's (was) the best DRaaS (Disaster Recovery as a Service). We could back up everything as often as we like (1min) and fail-over to VM from Bare-metal, in 2ish min (users wouldn't even notice the server redirection). Once the Bare-metal was restored - move the system back from VM, like nothing happened. That was some sexy "Business Continuity" All with deduplication, incremental backups and automated backup testing of local and remote files. My customer base LOVED it. Ransomware news reports, sold it for me. Good times. I'm not sure what the ArcServe team brings or removes from the SPX system though - I was retired before that merger/acquisition. Oh - and they had good swag/food at conferences.

Datto, Azure, etc are other expensive, effective DRaaS options.

For free, today, for Linux servers, I'd probably go with Proxmox Backup Server. It really only handles Debian Linux Bare-metal servers, containers and VMs. It has many of the same features of StorageCraft SPX if combined with a Proxmox Virtual Environment server.

I've also had success with free Duplicati and free/paid Veeam. I've also successfully done things like Rsync, Syncthing, Robocopy, etc.. Even Windows 7 backup works well for Windows PCs (even Win 11). Windows Server backup is actually good too! Honestly every OS has a free, robust solution either backed in, or freely installed with simple CLI cut/paste options. I just like an all-in-one, single pane of glass solution - so I usually go beyond what is simple and offered directly.

I also used to be a Synology partner. They have really picked up their backup game and I really like what they are doing. They have several packages that backup in several different ways. One or more of those packages should meet the needs of almost any SMB/Home Lab. However I find the cost of entry into Synology, along with their new drive certification program, to be less attractive than just rolling your own server.

If I'm not using a DRaaS solution, then I typically like to have local PCs back up to a same OS family type, file server (keeps it simple), that a Hypervisor can access (to bring up, downed systems, while they are repaired).That file server then has it's files backed to another local server (that focuses on server backups), and that other server has it's files synced to a provider, that is located in a different non-local region (for mega disasters).

Today, I'm setting up a TrueNAS system. I've never used it, so for giggles I'm going to dip my toes.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Used StorageCraft ShadowProtect for Windows up until 3.5/4.0 days in places. It's been a while. Acronis has sadly also gone to sjit. Guess all those new developers had to prove their salary somehow some way so they blew up the code base a 100 fold and nobody stopped them. Scripted Drive Snapshot using PsExec and Blat, no more bloat. Using correct older version of Blat, senseless rewrite broke umlaut handling.

One main attraction of VMs is crash-consistant backups. For physical the super-tier is not needing it, because deployment is automatized fully. If you don't have a snapshot-capable filesystem like ZFS, and have no databases like Postgres, and you are sure not much or nothing important is changing while you do it, might try dirty tar with the correct options to capture the root fs and pipe it via ssh to another host:

tar --exclude=/swapfile --use-compress-program=/usr/bin/lbzip2 --one-file-system --numeric-owner --acls --xattrs --xattrs-include='*' --totals -cpSf- / | ssh user@host "cat > backup.tar.bz2"

Reactions: nexox

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Forgot to mention how to restore, e.g. to a new disk:

tar --xattrs --xattrs-include='*' --acls -xvjpf backup.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/newdisk

If this is supposed to boot, you have to restore the boot configuration of course. With Grub some grub-install and grub-mkconfig, with UEFI and systemd-boot some bootctl plus check for changed PARTUUID in /boot/loader/entries/ and /etc/fstab.

For UEFI, backup command should probably read "... / /boot | ..." to also catch the FAT16 UEFI partition. Grub can read ext4 fine. Restore means setup GPT partition table, mkfs for FAT and your main partition. Then mount main partition, mkdir /boot in this partition, then mount into that directory the boot partition, as an example. Then untar. Then chroot into the installation (Arch has arch-chroot command, handy), then "bootctl --path=/boot install", then check PARTUUIDs if present and update them from new values gleaned through blkid.

Why lbzip2, because up until recently it struck a nice balance of compression performance using all cores and compression ratio, and everybody has bzip2 to uncompress. Everybody. With zstd this changed, but sometimes I just like the hits.

mobycl1ck

Feb 20, 2022
A little update.
Implemented Veeam Backup and Synology ABB, as licences are already paid and those services weren't used. Now, I managed t implement a Bacula Server to have aditional, redundant reular backups.
Now, after reading your responses, I realize how advanced your solutions are and how basic and cluncky are mine.

finno

Apr 22, 2023
Maryland
People already mentioned rsync for backup. Rsnapshot is a good tool that wraps rsync commands to give you the backup function with version (hourly/daily/weekly/monthly/whatever).