Western Digital 8 TB Helium WD80EZZX 5400PM- 219.88

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FelixTCat

Feb 23, 2016
Hi Everyone,

First time poster... been lurking for about 6 months now. I've purchased 2 of these. For anyone from Aus it was ~USD$50 to have them posted to Aus.

Given these are supposed to be NEW, what should I be looking for? Any way to tell that they may have had their smart data wiped?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Unlikely they had the SMART data tampered with. They're just pulls from external enclosures.

keybored

May 28, 2016
From what I gathered, these are 8tb wd green equivalents running at 5400rpm with no TLER and they do apparently come from external enclosures, as BlueFox stated above. You can apparently turn TLER on while the drive is running but it'll reset itself back to "off" and it's not clear whether turning it on makes a difference to begin with. You can't easily verify that it's working...

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Hi Everyone,

First time poster... been lurking for about 6 months now. I've purchased 2 of these. For anyone from Aus it was ~USD$50 to have them posted to Aus.

Given these are supposed to be NEW, what should I be looking for? Any way to tell that they may have had their smart data wiped?
Hi @FelixTCat welcome to STH!...oi...oi..oi (there is a few aussies on here)

I'm trying to calculate shipping fees for my recently purchased HDDs.
Re: $50. Which forwarding company do you use and which carrier
(e.g. 'Shipito' with 'Shipito Preferred carrier to Australia')?
Cheers

FelixTCat

Feb 23, 2016
Thanks guys, hmmmm, hope they will still have warranty then. Oh well. Much cheaper than anything like it in Aus. Best for an 8TB is about AUD$470 (WD Blue). where as these cost AUD$320 including shipping.

I must admit had to go and look up what TLER was. Acording to: Should You Use TLER Drives In Your RAID NAS? - SmallNetBuilder It is useful for a drive that has bad blocks, or in general trouble trying to read/write data, for in use with raid, so that the drive doesn't drop our of the array, essentially a more graceful fail. Does that mean that in a software raid environment it isn't that/as useful? or is it just raid in general?

Thanks @Boddy

I just used the ebay checkout thingy, which I now know is the actual ebay "Global Shipping Program". I'm not too fussed if I could have gotten it for $10 or $15 less, without having to deal with a third/fourth party. I didn't want to miss out on it (thinking they would sell quickly, which it seams may not be the case) researching and evaluating all my third party shipping options.

Where are you Boddy? I am thinking I might jump on the 2TB drives for some cold storage...be good to know what some bulk (or at least more bulk than 2) costs to have shipped. This is all of course if I can somehow manage to a relatively cheap SC846 here without costing me $400+ in postage.

Cheers,
Felix

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
hi @FelixTCat
This thread is an interesting starting point, if you are interested. There is a calculator on 'Shipito.com" website.
How many HDDs were you thinking of shipping at one time?
(cost of goods+freight will incur GST if over $1000 (unless you split the shipment)
Cheers

psylenced

Aug 21, 2016
Currently on ebay (AU) with their 20% off sale, you can get 8tb WD red's for $439 free delivery and 8tb ironwolf for $495.

That's through the pc.byte and futu_online stores using code: CSUN20.